Do 1995's Have A Overheating Problem? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
My wife had a 1995 Taurus and at 130K it started going through water pumps like crazy, that among tons of other issues with the cooling system in general. We just figured it was a "lemon" and got rid of it. Now I just bought a 1995 Taurus (same color and everything) with 183K from the auction 2 weeks ago and what do you know, today the cooling system went bye bye. Antifreeze everywhere. Same problems. I only paid $450. for the car so I don't plan on fixing it as this problem, with this many miles, will probably reoccur and nickle and dime me to death like the other one did. I'm just wondering if this is a common problem with the Taurus of this year?????? Just seems strange of it being an identical problem. I checked the VIN# to be sure I didn't actually have the exact same car, but it's not. So anyone know what's up with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 4 reviews
Do you flush and change the coolant every two years?

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

My '95 had a recall on the fan motor for conking out and/or setting the car on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] - [
]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

I just got this car so I have not done any changes on any fluids. I did check them all the first day i got it and everything looked good, clean, and full. It's so bad that when you pour coolant in it pours out of the bottom of the water pump, even if the car is not running. Before it died it was squealing and making alot of grinding noises. I was in a heap of traffic and had to drive it for a minute until I found a parking lot, then it died in that parking lot and I have not messed with it. Probably gonna start parting out so if anyone needs any 95 parts let me know. Thought about fixing it but it's a gamble really with 183K I don't see letting this car become a money pit. Is the water pump hard to change?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:09 PM

Water pouring out the bottom of the pump sounds to me like water coming out of the weep hole. This isnt a big deal, its just the seal around the spindle shaft. I had to replace that on a friends chevy and now it works just fine.

-1995 Ford Taurus GL/SE-123,000 miles
-1981 Chevy Suburban Scottsdale 4X4-389,000 miles
-1974 Datsun 620 Pickup-245,000 miles
-1968 Ford F-250 2WD-so many that the speedo drive gear disintegrated

-<strike>1988 Ford Crown Victoria-137,000 miles
-1992 Ford Taurus GL-115,000 miles
-1979 Buick Lesabre Limited Edition-57,000 original miles
-1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88-339,000 miles at time of crushing and put the engine into the suburban
-1965 Cadillac Coupe Deville Calais-never was able to drive it
</strike>
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Water pouring out the bottom of the pump sounds to me like water coming out of the weep hole. This isnt a big deal, its just the seal around the spindle shaft. I had to replace that on a friends chevy and now it works just fine.
[/b]
Does this job require removing the water pump? What do you use to seal it? Also, would this cause the car to completly shut down?
I'm thinking the rubber burning smell could be from the coolant soaking the drive belt and making it slip, maybe thats why the car quit going?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast

My 95 has over 270,000 miles and has never over-heated. I am also the original owner.

1993 V6 3.2L SHO

Clubs: SHOCAL & SHOForum

Past VP - TCCA West Coast Chapter
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 AM

Depends if you have the piece of junk 3.8 esses with chronic head cracking problems where compression gasses are always being introduced and blowing things out,
or
the great 3.0 which is very reliable and doesn't really have any issues..
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Depends if you have the piece of junk 3.8 esses with chronic head cracking problems where compression gasses are always being introduced and blowing things out,
or
[/b]
It's the 3.0

And to the guy with 270K on his Taurus, LUCKY YOU!!!

Quote:
My 95 has over 270,000 miles and has never over-heated. I am also the original owner.
[/b]
You car is spoiled in that SoCal weather. Try putting that '95 through 14 long cold winters with potholes the size of a Kia.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Devoted Member

Quote:
or
[/b]
Another clueless Vulcan owner. This'll be fun.

Yeah, the Vulcan's notorious penchant for turning its coolant brown... that's not an issue

Gone elsewhere in search of a pleasant Taurus/Sable forum run by people who actually care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page