Question Of How To Do - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog
Quote:
Removing the wheel is easy if you have a steering wheel puller. After you get the 4 screws out at the sides of the steering wheel, lift the center part (that has the airbag inside it) Then remove the large center nut and use the steering wheel puller to remove the wheel.[/b]
ehhh, survey says XXX

Not to burst your bubble, his is different. It has a single little screw that holds the whole thing to the column. You open the little access port on the side of the wheel and it's right in there, you turn it "out" like a bazzillion turns and finally it comes out of some time warp or something and the wheel releases.

Rudy Heinemann Jr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast

Quote:
I remember daveromanjr telling me that cleaning the contacts of the cruise control buttons can help solve the same problem you are having. Just a small flat head screw driver pops them out of the wheel (the whole black plastic assembly.
[/b]

A HUGE thank you goes out to Bull Geek on this one! All I had to do was Clean the INSIDE connectors.

If you are having issues with EITHER the Cruise Control On/Off or the +/-/Resume CC buttons try this simple procedure first.

1) Use a small flat head screw driver and insert between the outer black plastic and the soft pleather of the steering wheel. Pry outwards and remove the entire Black assembly from steering wheel.

2) Disconnect the 3/4 pin connector from the back of the assembly. Note: There are 3 wires going into the steering wheel.

3) Use a Torx T-9 or T-7 to remove the 3 Torx screws in the back. It should not take many turns to get these out.

4) Disassemble and using Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol clean all Gold connectors with a Q-Tip.

5) Assemble in the reverse order.

If anyone has ever taken apart a video game controller (NES, SNES, N64, PSone, PS2, XBox, etc) the same principles adhear to this. There are essentially 3 pieces. The Black plastic, a rubber middle piece (used to pop the plastic back out), and a simple circuit board.

The connectors inside the indents of the rubber will collect dust/grime. This will transfer to the circuit board. When these connections are not good, intermittant or complete failure to work will result.

Remember to use Rubbing alcohol because it will not harm the electronics of the board. DO NOT USE WATER!

Okay, thanks again TCCA! $2 worth of tools and $2 worth of Rubbing alcohol. Now my Cruise Control works just like it did out of the factory!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to daveromanjr
Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
I remember daveromanjr telling me that cleaning the contacts of the cruise control buttons can help solve the same problem you are having. Just a small flat head screw driver pops them out of the wheel (the whole black plastic assembly.
[/b]

A HUGE thank you goes out to Bull Geek on this one! All I had to do was Clean the INSIDE connectors.

If you are having issues with EITHER the Cruise Control On/Off or the +/-/Resume CC buttons try this simple procedure first.

1) Use a small flat head screw driver and insert between the outer black plastic and the soft pleather of the steering wheel. Pry outwards and remove the entire Black assembly from steering wheel.

2) Disconnect the 3/4 pin connector from the back of the assembly. Note: There are 3 wires going into the steering wheel.

3) Use a Torx T-9 or T-7 to remove the 3 Torx screws in the back. It should not take many turns to get these out.

4) Disassemble and using Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol clean all Gold connectors with a Q-Tip.

5) Assemble in the reverse order.

If anyone has ever taken apart a video game controller (NES, SNES, N64, PSone, PS2, XBox, etc) the same principles adhear to this. There are essentially 3 pieces. The Black plastic, a rubber middle piece (used to pop the plastic back out), and a simple circuit board.

The connectors inside the indents of the rubber will collect dust/grime. This will transfer to the circuit board. When these connections are not good, intermittant or complete failure to work will result.

Remember to use Rubbing alcohol because it will not harm the electronics of the board. DO NOT USE WATER!

Okay, thanks again TCCA! $2 worth of tools and $2 worth of Rubbing alcohol. Now my Cruise Control works just like it did out of the factory!

[/b][/quote]
Great to hear it worked for you, too!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Moderators, is there any way to get this posted to the Wiki and maybe add it to the Topic Finder and/or the How To Solutions?

If need be, I'll re-write the procedure.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Technical Advisor

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
Quote:
Moderators, is there any way to get this posted to the Wiki and maybe add it to the Topic Finder and/or the How To Solutions?

If need be, I'll re-write the procedure.
[/b]
Make a new topic and I'll move it to the common problem section

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page