Another Coolant Leak - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Today, after driving my '01 Taurus, 12V, with 65k I smelled and noticed a coolant leak. It is dripping on the cat converter and onto the ground. I checked the water pump and all the hoses but found nothing. Is there anything on the rear bank that could cause this leak? I've tried everything but cannot see where it is leaking from. I also got a 0340 code but do not think they are related. The car seems to run just fine but the code and leak are there. There is no coolant in the oil, coolant tank was replaced about 2 months ago. No steam comes from the engine.
I'm hoping it isn't a head gasket. The car has never overheated.
Any ideas? I'm at a loss.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 PM

Code 0340 is a cam postion sensor code. You might just need to replace the sensor. However the cam postition synchronizer that the sensor sits on fail alot on these cars.

As far as the leak, have it pressure tested. That usually shows the leak pretty easily.

My Rides: 2001 Taurus SES, 2003 Toyota Camry XLE, 2005 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Code 0340 is a cam postion sensor code. You might just need to replace the sensor. However the cam postition synchronizer that the sensor sits on fail alot on these cars.

As far as the leak, have it pressure tested. That usually shows the leak pretty easily.
[/b]
Thanks for the prompt reply.I'm going to order the complete new Motorcraft assembly from Rock Auto. I will get the system pressure tested next week. Any thoughts till then regarding the leak?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:49 PM

Does Rockauto have the Motorcraft part? All I saw was a AC/Delco or Dorman. You don't want a Dorman brand one for sure.

My Rides: 2001 Taurus SES, 2003 Toyota Camry XLE, 2005 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to fonicsmonkey Send a message via MSN to fonicsmonkey
Quote:
Today, after driving my '01 Taurus, 12V, with 65k I smelled and noticed a coolant leak. It is dripping on the cat converter and onto the ground. I checked the water pump and all the hoses but found nothing. Is there anything on the rear bank that could cause this leak? I've tried everything but cannot see where it is leaking from. I also got a 0340 code but do not think they are related. The car seems to run just fine but the code and leak are there. There is no coolant in the oil, coolant tank was replaced about 2 months ago. No steam comes from the engine.
I'm hoping it isn't a head gasket. The car has never overheated.
Any ideas? I'm at a loss.
Thanks
[/b]
Coolant leaks are head scratchers sometimes...they can be caused by a number of things...and originate from one spot...travel...and make its puddle somewhere else. Getting it pressure tested is the way to go...venturing guesses now is a crap shoot in my opinion.

A little left of center.... ( - _ - )
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Does Rockauto have the Motorcraft part? All I saw was a AC/Delco? You don't want a Dorman brand one for sure.
[/b]
MOTORCRAFT Part # DA2089 {#F8DZ12A362AA} $84.89. This is the part# for my '01 Taurus. It is a new part. The sensor is about $20.
I would rather put in a new OEM part for fit and reliability.
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:17 AM

I found it now but it doesn't show a picture. (I like pictures!) Are you sure it is the whole unit and not just the sensor?
Looking under engines shows only a Dorman part for the whole unit.

If it is just the sensor a cheaper one would work. If it is the whole synchronizer that you want, get it from Ford.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I found it now but it doesn't show a picture. (I like pictures!) Are you sure it is the whole unit and not just the sensor?
Looking under engines shows only a Dorman part for the whole unit.

If it is just the sensor a cheaper one would work. If it is the whole synchronizer that you want, get it from Ford.
[/b]
I checked with my Ford dealer. The part # from Rock Auto is a new motorcraft unit. The sensor is not included. Total cost is $ 109.54. This includes the 5% Taurus club discount. I ordered it yesterday and FedEx will deliver it Friday!! The dealer cost was about $180. I didn't want to take a chance on a Dorman or Cardone unit.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 AM

Still a good deal compared to Ford Dealer price....and better quality.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Devoted Member

The leak could be the heater core.

Check the firewall located drain/vent for the heater box. When the core develops a leak, coolant drips front the core into the heaterbox, and down out onto the firewall. From the firewall it can end up dripping onto the right frame rail, and/or down onto the exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page