Ax4n Trans Life Expectation - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Most of Ford's tranmissions are just slow to engage gears, esp reverse. It usually takes a second or two, somtimes less if you use synthetic ATF, which flows faster. Just a Ford thing, even the older cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Excellent. Thank you guys. I will keep the car and install a trans cooler. Although I may wait until spring given that it is 7 degrees here in Detroit at the moment, so I'm not sure a cooler would have much of an impact.

I have also done more research and confirmed the AX4N does seem to be better, but have seen about 6 people with failed AX4N's. Just need to make sure I keep the maintenance up. I will be traveling alot from Tennessee to Michigan in the coming months, so I want to make sure I am not stranded.

Thank you for the thoughts!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 AM

The V8 SHO's have that tranny, and they have their share of troubles with them too. Seems that they like to puke around 75,000 miles if they are the puking type. If they are well maintained and live past the 120,000 mark they seem to last as well or better than anything else on the cars.

Also, the torque converters are real losers.

RICE - ITS WHATS FOR DINNER !

Eric Lehmann

Lots of V8 SHO's

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I bought a 2005 with a 3.0L Vulcan and about 82k on it. I immediately had the dealer change the fluid with the coolant line flush. The car has nearly all highway miles on it.

My impression is that the AX4N is a ticking time bomb just waiting to fail at any intersection. Is that true? I have a friend with a 2005 and his failed at about 80k miles. I have seen others on here as well.

How long do they last? Are the rebuilds any better? Debating if I should get rid of this car while it is still running well. It's a great car other than the potential trans issue.
[/b]

I heard a lot of Taurus tranny horror stories before I bought my '92 with a 3.8. Like you, I almost backed out of the deal. The car now has over 200k on the original tranny. My understanding is that the newer units are even more reliable. Change the fluid and don't beat the crap out of the tranny and you'll be ok. Any tranny will fail under constant abuse. Be good to it, and it will be good to you.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 4 reviews
Mine last about a year in the SHO.....

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Devoted Member

If ANY car or truck is abused, of course the transmission will go sooner, as well as other parts. My '93 Taurus still had it's original transmission at 206k when I sold it to a co-worker. They finally replaced it at 246k. I changed the fluid and filters every 30k, no flushes, and they were almost all highway miles on that car-I lived way out in the country when I owned it (40 mile commute each way to civilization)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page