3.0 Tranny Behind A 3.8 ('91 Sable) - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
When I bought this car, I inadvertently installed a 3.0 tranny, which I since learned has a somewhat geared down final drive compared to a 3.8 tranny.

My complaint has been that the engine winds out a bit before the tranny upshifts, I presume because of the lower overall gear ratio. I wouldn't call it severe, but I would call it quite annoying.

The original tranny was shot, so I couldn't perform a before/after comparison.

I also understand that a (very) few of these with the 3.8 did in fact come with the 3.0 tranny... most notably ones destined for police use.

My question is, do you think that these select few cars used a different TPS; that is, one with a slightly different output voltage curve so that tranny upshifts would match the 3.8 engine?

What about the PCM... could that have been different as well?

I did an online parts lookup; none of them specify a police application for either the TPS or the PCM, but I'm thinking that if there is such a thing, the demand for it would be so low that perhaps these parts are not offered through a run of the mill source.

What do you think?

Regards... Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page