Not Enough Heat - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Howdy folks. I have this here 99 Taurus SE Wagon. I think there are more details under my username. Anyhow it's mighty cold here in New England. I did a trip to and from Montreal over the past 4 days. The air coming out of the vents while on max heat is, at best, only mildly warm. It might even be luke warm. I want it hot! Any ideas what might be the issue? The guy at AutoZone told me he thinks it's the core. If it is the core can you all suggest one which will be very superior to what I have now? Something which will heat the air very quickly and to a high degree?

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 07:37 AM

Wink

Roffle! Welcome to my world. See my post "Baby It's.... blah blah"

Sounds like the identical problem.

I drove for 7 hours yesterday with the gauge reading almost halfway but little or no heat output.

I have back flushed the heater core, changed the thermostat. Got more heat for about an hour and a half. Now it's as cold as when I started. Only difference is that the heater output hose has warmed up from cool to warm. Also the gauge has gone from 1/4 to half of the normal zone.

Most seem to point to poor flow from a failing water pump. This is my project tomorrow, unless tinkering today has some results.

Gary

ps I just got back from driving the wife to work and saw your username.... 1st thing that hit was 'stone cold'
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to fonicsmonkey Send a message via MSN to fonicsmonkey
Quote:
Howdy folks. I have this here 99 Taurus SE Wagon. I think there are more details under my username. Anyhow it's mighty cold here in New England. I did a trip to and from Montreal over the past 4 days. The air coming out of the vents while on max heat is, at best, only mildly warm. It might even be luke warm. I want it hot! Any ideas what might be the issue? The guy at AutoZone told me he thinks it's the core. If it is the core can you all suggest one which will be very superior to what I have now? Something which will heat the air very quickly and to a high degree?

Thanks!!!!
[/b]
Just like GaryD says...your water pump is probably pretty close to shot. For some reason '96-'99 Vulcan water pump impellers seem to rot away which doesn't allow for proper flow of the coolant thru cooling system/heater core. If you haven't flushed the coolant in a while that should be on the list of things to do as well. The rotting impellers usually "gunk" up the coolant (which is another calling card of 'crappy' water pump) and requires flushing out the old nasty coolant and back flushing the heater core to get anything 'trapped' in it out like GaryD has done.

A little left of center.... ( - _ - )

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>

Thanks!!!!
[/b]
Just like GaryD says...your water pump is probably pretty close to shot. For some reason Vulcan water pump impellers seem to rot away which doesn't allow for proper flow of the coolant thru cooling system/heater core. If you haven't flushed the coolant in a while that should be on the list of things to do as well. The rotting impellers usually "gunk" up the coolant (which is another calling card of 'crappy' water pump) and requires flushing out the old nasty coolant and back flushing the heater core to get anything 'trapped' in it out like GaryD has done.
[/b][/quote]

Ok, so I guess the water pump needs replacing. It's way too cold outside for me to do it myself so I guess I'll drop it off at the mom-and-pop. Before I let them put any water pump in can you suggest one which might be worth investing in?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Send a message via AIM to silvapain
First off, check your coolant level. The first sign of low coolant is no heat, as it's one of the highest points on the system. Ignore the markings on the coolant tank - fill the tank to the brim. There is a TSB saying the same thing, but I don't feel like searching for it.

- Daniel

Current:
2002 Pontiac GTP 40th Anniversary Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past:
1997 V8 SHO Silver Frost -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 V8 SHO Ebony Satin -

1997 Vulcan GL -

1990 Vulcan Sable -
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
First off, check your coolant level. The first sign of low coolant is no heat, as it's one of the highest points on the system. Ignore the markings on the coolant tank - fill the tank to the brim. There is a TSB saying the same thing, but I don't feel like searching for it.
[/b]
I'll check it out when I get home. The car is stuck in snow right now and I'm waiting until it melts a bit until I try to dig it out again.

In the meantime, any suggestions on a water pump?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Send a message via AIM to silvapain
If the water pump was bad, you'd have serious overheating issues. For a quick way to see if the pump is at least somewhat looking is to start the car with the coolant reservoir cap off. You should see coolant flowing in the reservoir if the pump is working. Also, the radiator hose lines should be hot if the pump is working.

- Daniel

Current:
2002 Pontiac GTP 40th Anniversary Edition

Past:
1997 V8 SHO Silver Frost -

1997 V8 SHO Ebony Satin -

1997 Vulcan GL -

1990 Vulcan Sable -
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If the water pump was bad, you'd have serious overheating issues. For a quick way to see if the pump is at least somewhat looking is to start the car with the coolant reservoir cap off. You should see coolant flowing in the reservoir if the pump is working. Also, the radiator hose lines should be hot if the pump is working.
[/b]
I did look at the heat temp yesterday while driving 6 hours and it was also on the low side. I don't think I am overheating. I will do as you suggest, however, when I get home.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to mmmfloorpie Send a message via MSN to mmmfloorpie Send a message via Yahoo to mmmfloorpie
Mine was filled to the brim last summer when I bought it... After maybe a day of driving around I noticed a huge pool of coolant on the driveway... I have no idea where it came from but I haven't had a coolant leak since it's been at the line on the tank...

This jellybean&#39;s got a hard candy coating

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Mine was filled to the brim last summer when I bought it... After maybe a day of driving around I noticed a huge pool of coolant on the driveway... I have no idea where it came from but I haven't had a coolant leak since it's been at the line on the tank...
[/b]
Assume for a moment that everything is flowing as it should and the radiator fluid is as the appropriate height. Why else would I be lacking hot air?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page