Spots In The Snow? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Well, the past couple of days I have been getting pounded with snow, and my taurus hasn't had any major problems. I pulled the car into the driveway today, and I noticed there were some spots underneath the engine in the snow, which appeared to be some oil and anti-freeze. I've had the car since June, and I have checked under the car whenever I can to make sure there aren't any leaks, and I have never seen ANY liquid spots underneath the car. the spots were brown (oil) and yellow-green (anti-freeze), and they were only in the snow. The snow was high enough to where it would have been touching the bottom of the car, so I'm thinking that the snow just caught some excess fluids, but my dad swears there must be a leak. Anyone else experience this in the snow? Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
The two possibilities for leaks under there would be a cracked coolant recovery tank and possibly an oil pan gasket leak.

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
The oil spots could potentially be excess from around the filter if you had a recent oil change. But it's most likely a leak. Common leak areas are the pan gasket and the drain plug, and the oil filter if it was not installed right.

If you see coolant, it's definitely leaking somewhere. If you don't have the means to check for leaks right now (being pounded with snow and everything), then just keep an eye on both your oil level and coolant level. Both leaks are probably very slow. My pan gasket is leaking pretty good, but even then, I can still go a few thousand miles without adding.

In fact, even though there is enough oil leaking from my car that it has started to damage the asphalt outside of my mothers house, it still isn't leaking fast enough for Ford's specification of oil consumption (I believe it's 1 quart every 1500 miles or more, otherwise, they don't consider it "oil consumption." )

Currently driving a 2009 Focus SE Sedan w/5-Speed!

Previous cars:
1997 Geo Prizm
1996 Ford Taurus G

Formerly "Mr. X"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page