Need To Install Drl (daytime Running Lights) On 2003 Taurus Ses - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Hello.
I am exporting a 2003 Taurus SES from US to Canada and it needs DRL Daytime running lights). I contacted a Canadian Ford dealer and asked him for an estimate, but it is too much for my budget (230CAD). He said he has to order a control module from Toronto. I looked over the internet, but I cannot find anybody to sell anything like this for my car. My question is: does this car has a "control module" or there is only a relay and a resistor? And where exactly these parts will be on a 2003 Taurus? Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

The General Electronics Module (GEM) controls the DRLs on '03 models. The GEM also controls a lot of other things on the car and is specific to the car. You have to get a new module and have it programmed specifically for that car.

The cheap way to do it is just find the low beam wire behind the headlight switch and use a relay to trip it using the ignition or accessory wire as the switch. The headlight circuit has a dedicated wire so it will only illuminate the headlights and not the parking lamps or dash illumination.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] - [
]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Devoted Member

Send a message via MSN to Nidan
There are aftermarket DRL kits you can get which are pretty easy to install, and not very expensive. You should check with some aftermarket parts stores near you. I did one not long ago - it works well, and it's not very hard.

I have a tendancy to wear my mind on my sleeve. I have a history of losing my shirt.

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer. Can anyone send me the 2003 light switch wiring so I can look at nearby wires I can connect to in one of the electrical connectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page