Can't Get Vss To Slide Out! Lube? Anyone? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Smile

I have removed the retaining bolt and bracket. Just can't seem to pull the stupid thing out. Is there any trick to it? This is on a 98 3.0 OHV with AX4N. I can grab a hold of it from the top but it don't seem to want to give at all.

99 SHO
98 SHO
98 SE
97 GL
94 SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Come on now... I know someone has a trick to this. Is there a tool I could slip over it to pull it out? The transmission shop wants $60 to pull it out. Surely if they have a tool it wouldn't cost anymore then $60. Plus that would give me a reason to add something to my collection.

99 SHO
98 SHO
98 SE
97 GL
94 SHO
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to 93 sable
There are no tools that I know of to remove the VSS. I did one on a friends 98 Vulcan Taurus a year or 2 ago and it was a royal pain in the ass. The damn sensor would not come out after I removed the bolt and I ended up snapping off the plastic top part trying to wiggle it out. I sprayed with with penetrating lube and let it sit over night, I later tried vice grips, a slide hammer (which just pulled it apart even more) and eventually screwed a huge easy out into it to try and get it out, NOTHING got this son of a bitch to move, even a bit. For the first time I gave up and drove it to a Ford dealer. $150 later the sensor was out and a new one was in.

I asked them what they did and they said it was a huge pain in the ass, the tech said he eventually heated the surrounding area up with a torch and was able to twist it free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 PM

DON'T SPRAY IT WITH LUBE! The sensor goes right in to the transmission and the tranny fluid, you do NOT want to get anything in there!

In my 95 I pulled out the wires and speedometer cable and twisted it, and kept twisting it. Back and forth, and it finally came out. Pulled out one at a junk yard the same way, only that was in 35 degree temperatures. Yup, it sucked, but it will come out by hand.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:37 PM
mwt
Crazy Devoted Member

Have a friend rock the car back and forth as you try to take it out.

Sounds like it might work doesn't it.

Thats all I got

Mike

"If you're a fan of getting into fat girls' pants, Dave Matthews Band CDs are the greatest invention since a ham on a fishing pole.

If I had known there was going to be a test I would have studied

94gl Vulcan totalled 4-01-04
99 LX FFV-purchased 4-17-04 totalled 5-17-06 untotalled on 9-2-07 and back on the road
New Paint coming soon
2000 SES Duratec
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 SEL Duratec this thing has everything but a spoiler
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Devoted Member

Send a message via MSN to Nidan
Spray penetrating fluid around the sensor and let it soak. Corrosion tends to form between the sensor and the tranny housing which makes it stick in there on the o-ring. I've often had to use a small prybar or chisel and hammer to tap it out - just be careful not to break too much of it off that you end up with nothing left to work on.

I have a tendancy to wear my mind on my sleeve. I have a history of losing my shirt.

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

We took it to the tranny shop and they took it out and put the new one in for $60. Think I could make a tool to do that. But then... how often would I use it??

99 SHO
98 SHO
98 SE
97 GL
94 SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page