Help Please. Coolant Temperature Sender Unit. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Angry

**Problem has been fixed. Full details in post #15 below.**[size=7]
1997 Ford Taurus GL Vulcan
What is the block called that the coolant temperature senders screw into? It is located just behind the thermostat and has a hose connected to a nipple. The nipple corroded off and I am not sure what the part is called. Do i need to replace the entire part or just the nipple. Is it threaded? I am going on vacation at the end of this week and have to get this solved. I just need help in identifying the part. Thanks in advance everyone.

Here is a more specific with arrows. Hope this helps.

I found a picture with the piece I am speaking of in it. Small arrow i put in it points to it and says "this piece" in top right corner. You can see the nipple off the end that the hose slides over. That nipple busted of into the hose.

Two of these thread into the part.

**1997 Ford Taurus GL**His Name Is Gilbert**Click Banner To Goto My Garage**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 4 reviews
The ECT has two wires the gage sender has one.

If the brass threads corroded off you have much bigger problems internally. That motor is all ate up inside the cooling system.

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The ECT has two wires the gage sender has one.

If the brass threads corroded off you have much bigger problems internally. That motor is all ate up inside the cooling system.
[/b]
The brass threads have not corroded off. The nipple in that picture did. Not the entire thing just enough to where when i tried to move the clamp on the hose the nipple broke off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Either way there should be no corrosion in the cooling system to cause that. Has the coolant ever been changed?

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Either way there should be no corrosion in the cooling system to cause that. Has the coolant ever been changed?
[/b]
Yes it has. I have flushed it as well. The last thing that went was last year. The water/coolant ate the propellers in the water pump. Ate them up badly to where it was not pushing water but just cutting through it. I fixed it and my overheating issues went away. I make sure to take care of the coolant. This nipple seems to be really thin anyways and it just ate through it and I might of just noticed it.

Really trying to find a name for this part but I can't seem to online.

I updated the photo with red arrows. More descriptive.

Thanks for the reply.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

That's the gage sender.

Sounds like the damage was already done.

If you have a voltmeter while the engine is running and when cold open the degasser tank and put one lead in the coolant and the other on the negative battery post. If the reading is above a tenth or two then the system needs flushed again.

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's the gage sender.

Sounds like the damage was already done.

If you have a voltmeter while the engine is running and when cold open the degasser tank and put one lead in the coolant and the other on the negative battery post. If the reading is above a tenth or two then the system needs flushed again.
[/b]
Ok I will do that but I have to replace the part. I cant seem to find that part online with that name. Am I able to get this part online?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Yes, it is a common part that Ford used for the last 40 years. Only in '97 did they change it to have the same connector as the ECT.

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, it is a common part that Ford used for the last 40 years. Only in '97 did they change it to have the same connector as the ECT.
[/b]
Im searching for that name but I cant find anything.... Do you recommend a site to find the entire part. Or do you know if that nipple screws in or do I need to replace the entire part?

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Im searching for that name but I cant find anything.... Do you recommend a site to find the entire part. Or do you know if that nipple screws in or do I need to replace the entire part?
[/b][/quote]
I get that those two things that thread in are sensor for the coolant temperature. But I guess what I am trying to say is. I'm trying to find the name of the part they screw into.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

It's called a temp sending unit at www.fastpartsnetwork.com

Description Qty MSRP Price Your Price Core Price Total Cost
Mechanical Catalog - 1997 - Ford - Taurus
Electrical, Chassis electrical, Senders, Temp sending unit, Temp sending unit, sable, taurus, 3.0l $21.33 $12.96 $0.00 $12.96

The part they thread into is probably called a coolant pipe and only available from Ford or a Ford OEM parts seller like www.fastpartsnetwork.com.

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page