Dead Battery - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Virginia
Chapter: Southeast
Year: 94
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.8L Essex
Posts: 2,433
Rep Power: 45
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Sure the meter is hooked up right? I have never seen a draw less than about 20 to 50 mA on a modern car after all the modules have gone to sleep.
[/b]

This question, along with your unusually low posted parasitic drain current readings has also caused me to wonder if your meter settings, or lead connections to measure current are in question.

Don't know what brand multimeter your using, but most multimeters have test lead plug-in jacks to enable the meter to measure large currents, on the level of about 10 AMPS.
So if your test leads were thus connected, your readings might really be .15 amps, or 150 ma & that would be more in line with whats expected.

Now if that level of parasitic drain continued, it could draw a battery down.

Yet more thoughts for pondering.

94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A
99 Ranger XLT 4dr 4.0L 5spd Auto
Payload & Tow Pkg

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
Sure the meter is hooked up right? I have never seen a draw less than about 20 to 50 mA on a modern car after all the modules have gone to sleep.
[/b]

This question, along with your unusually low posted parasitic drain current readings has also caused me to wonder if your meter settings, or lead connections to measure current are in question.

Don't know what brand multimeter your using, but most multimeters have test lead plug-in jacks to enable the meter to measure large currents, on the level of about 10 AMPS.
So if your test leads were thus connected, your readings might really be .15 amps, or 150 ma & that would be more in line with whats expected.

Now if that level of parasitic drain continued, it could draw a battery down.

Yet more thoughts for pondering.
[/b][/quote]

After work I will recheck. Something I just remembered that may have something to do with my problem. A couple of months ago the day time running lights quit working right, they were real dim and the bright light light on the dash stayed on all the time even when the car was off, it went out only when you turned on the lights. After asking around I was told to just pull the fuse, so I did and the light went out on the dash and the DRL do not work at all.(Which is fine with me). Again I do thank all of you who are trying to help me. Glad I found this site.
JacksonJW is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Virginia
Chapter: Southeast
Year: 94
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.8L Essex
Posts: 2,433
Rep Power: 45
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
OK, good feedback about the DRL's acting out.

If the fuse to it is still pulled & the battery drain has stopped, then the DRL control module belongs on your suspect list imo.

94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A
99 Ranger XLT 4dr 4.0L 5spd Auto
Payload & Tow Pkg

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
pawpaw is offline  
 
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
OK, good feedback about the DRL's acting out.

If the fuse to it is still pulled & the battery drain has stopped, then the DRL control module belongs on your suspect list imo.
[/b]
Even with the fuse pulled the battery still goes dead after setting more than a day.
JacksonJW is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Since you have had a past problem with the lighting in the past, I would disconnect the wiring to the headlight switch and see if the battery goes dead. If it doesn't, then you likely have a shorted headlight switch, which is a fairly common problem.
leftyizme is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2001
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Posts: 1,557
Rep Power: 36
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Have you tried taking it to Autozone for a battery system check? How old is the battery anyway? They're not really designed for deep discharges like what's happening now. It's the quickest way to kill a battery. Usually they're not really meant to go below 75%-80% of maximum charge.

2001 Taurus SEL
24V DOHC
henrysel is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Have you tried taking it to Autozone for a battery system check? How old is the battery anyway? They're not really designed for deep discharges like what's happening now. It's the quickest way to kill a battery. Usually they're not really meant to go below 75%-80% of maximum charge.
[/b]
I purchased the battery appx. 1 year ago.

Quote:
Since you have had a past problem with the lighting in the past, I would disconnect the wiring to the headlight switch and see if the battery goes dead. If it doesn't, then you likely have a shorted headlight switch, which is a fairly common problem.
[/b]
The headlights turn on and off just fine, I would have to believe that if the switch was shorted the headlights would not work properly. It is the daytime running lights that I have a problem with.
JacksonJW is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Crazy Devoted Member
 
shoz123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ashkum, Illinois
Posts: 14,124
Rep Power: 63
 
Trader Score: 4 reviews
So what is the actual amperage draw when the car is sitting?

Paul Nimz
'10 Red Genesis Coupe
'08 Hyundai Accent
shoz123 is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Rep Power: 0
 
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
So what is the actual amperage draw when the car is sitting?
[/b]
Sorry it's been so long. I have narrowed it down to the wiper/vap fuse. What is vap?
JacksonJW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome