1999 Transmission 1 To 2 Harsh Up & Down Shift - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Hi all I am new to this site I have a 1999 3.0 vulkan se sedan. The problem I have and I have read of is 1 to 2 upshift slips and jerks but not all of the time. I have heard of other people having this problem but never hear an answer.
I am no stranger to repairing cars but don't get into transmissions to much. This I know the car has no codes in the computer, tryed complete flush with mercon5 with new screen, brought to my trans guy who works for cottman transmission he said the valve body needed modification and a rebuild was in order at 80k. Got the car back and on the 30 minute ride home started again same problem. Happends mostly when car is warm but there is no rym nor reason. Took it back to the guy he said he tryed two valve bodies, output speed sensor and finally reflashed the pcm, also took trans apart and rechecked everything. Picked it up and again when it gets a little hot starts at first with a harsh downshift usually coming to a light then when it takes off it kicks revs up and slams into gear. Let it cool down and shifts perfect. All other gears are perfect and cruises on the highway perfect. He fixed it at his house and had the car for 2 months so I don't want to give it back to him again if someone has had this problem and could point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful...Oh ya there was a post on here simular but the speedometer dropped to zero and it was the speed sensor, mine does not drop at any time works perfect. To me seems like a valve body hanging up but he said he tryed two in it so i don't know what to think...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Devoted Member

Send a message via MSN to dark_fire
If it revs up and slams into gear, there's still something messed up in the tranny.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
When Chuck Norris goes to sleep every night,
he checks his closet for Clint Eastwood.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

Probably a cracked forward clutch piston.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] - [
]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Probably a cracked forward clutch piston.
[/b]
It seems to me it is a mechanical rather than an electronic problem, thanks for the imput...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

That is a mechanical part.

[
] - [
]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I know it is a mechanical part I was agreeing with your diagnostics, thanks for your help, does anyone know how hard it is to replace the forward clutch piston, I know it is inside the trans but would a mechanically inclined person be able to fix it himself? Jim
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Devoted Member

Send a message via MSN to Nidan
I think you may need some special tools to get it apart, but i might be wrong. I know we have a crapload of specialty tools at the shop that are designed for specific jobs - like removing or installing one specific part in a tranny.

FWIW, it doesn't sound like a cracked forward clutch piston. The old trannies used to have that problem when the piston was made of aluminum, but is has been changed to steel to prevent it. Furthermore, the cracked piston caused the tranny to act as if it was in neutral at stops - you'd hit the gas, the engine would rev up, and eventually, if you were lucky, it would suddenly slam into gear and away you'd go. You could sometimes prevent this from happening by driving with both feet - hold the brake with one, and keep the revs up off idle with the other - that would sometimes prevent the fluid from leaking thru the crack in the piston and keep it engaged.

Anyway, your problem is a harsh 1-2 shift, not a lack of initial engagement, so i doubt it's the piston. It could be a sticking accumulator piston or broken accumulator spring, or a valve body issue. I currently am having a similar issue on my car. The 1-2 shift is too firm, and the tranny guy can't figure out why. I've replace the valve body, which fixed 2 other problems, but not the harsh shift. It did fix an issue i was having with a flare-up after the 1-2 shift when the tranny was hot - basically, after the shift, the trans would seem to go into neutral, the engine rpms would flare up, then it would go back into gear and continue on its way. This sounds kinda like what's happening to you. I had 2 different tranny techs look at my valve body, and neither could see an obvious problem. We put a used valve body on, and it's fixed, so obviously the problem was in the valve body, but not something that could be easily seen by a visual inspection. I know your tranny guy says he tried 2 valve bodies, but maybe he's just telling you that. Or, he did, and the problem is somewhere else. Just some food for thought for you.

I have a tendancy to wear my mind on my sleeve. I have a history of losing my shirt.

- Barenaked Ladies
(it suits me so well sometimes, heh)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 01:03 AM

Boost valve ?

I mean if it has no codes it has to be mechanical. I would say he didn't really try two different valve bodies and or his computer or his code deciphering skills suck. Also you may just need a shift correction kit ?
BUT... I would think since he rebuilt it he would have known by looking at it all ?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Ya He built me a couple good AODS for my 5.0 mustang but not sure if he is up on the newer stuff, He works for Cottman Trans but he should have been able to fix this thing he had it for 2 months...I hate to bring it to another and pay again, maybe I will try a valve body myself I think I know someone that has a trans sitting around...Thanks for all of the input I will keep you advised...Jim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 01:44 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southeast

Quote:
Ya He built me a couple good AODS for my 5.0 mustang but not sure if he is up on the newer stuff, He works for Cottman Trans but he should have been able to fix this thing he had it for 2 months...I hate to bring it to another and pay again, maybe I will try a valve body myself I think I know someone that has a trans sitting around...Thanks for all of the input I will keep you advised...Jim
[/b]
TRS? Mine does the same.. i'll let you know.

-2007 Mazda Axela (3s sport) "Ai", 2.3L MZR DOHC I4, 5F31J T-ATX True Red
-SOLD-1999 Jeep TJ Wrangler, AMC 150 OHV I-4, Aisin-Warner AX-5 MTX Flame Red
-TOTALED-1996 Ford Taurus GL "Able", 3.0L OHV V6 Vulcan, AX4N ATX Toreador Red

-2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT, 4.0L SOHC Cologne V6, 5R55E ATX Silver Birch Metallic
-2007 Nissan Quest 3.5SE, 3.5L VQ35DE DOHC V6, RE5F22A ATX Silver Mist Metallic
Lights on for safety!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page