Power Steering Fluid Filter - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 94
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.8L Essex

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Not certain how your 2000 is plumbed, but my 99 Ranger & 94 Taurus have a small dia black rubber hose running from the P/S pump, down to the P/S cooler which is located below & in front of the lower radiator support.

So on both of my Fords, they have small dia rubber return lines between the P/S cooler & pump & thats the line you want the filter in.

I just cut & sectoned it by the length of the Magnefines ribbed body, made sure to orient the filters flow arrow toward the pump & was good to go!!!!

94 Taurus GL 3.8L PEP204A
99 Ranger XLT 4dr 4.0L 5spd Auto
Payload & Tow Pkg

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:53 PM

I was looking at it and I have the rubber hose that your talking about. I think I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend, thanks for the post
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Your P/S system will thank you & likely reward you with smoother & quieter operation.

Let us know how it goes.

Payload & Tow Pkg

Details are trifles, but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle (Ben Franklin)
Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 01:28 PM

My '98 Sable Wagon has a factory steel PS filter. It's located on the inside side of the engine cradle, driver's side. It looks just like a filter

I called the dealership just now, the parts man confirmed that it's a PS filter, he'd never seen or heard of one on a Sable before, and then found that he has two in stock! He pulled one, described it accurately. Then the kicker: it costs $180, or $240 with the hose attached.

I just ordered a ATP FX160 inline filter with 25um paper filter and integral magnet, 3/8" hose barbs, about $22, and that's what I'll be replacing mine with.

Regards,
Al S.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 PM

QUOTE (asavage @ Mar 31 2010, 01:28 PM)
Quote:
My '98 Sable Wagon has a factory steel PS filter. It's located on the inside side of the engine cradle, driver's side. It looks just like a filter

I called the dealership just now, the parts man confirmed that it's a PS filter, he'd never seen or heard of one on a Sable before, and then found that he has two in stock! He pulled one, described it accurately. Then the kicker: it costs $180, or $240 with the hose attached.

I just ordered a ATP FX160 inline filter with 25um paper filter and integral magnet, 3/8" hose barbs, about $22, and that's what I'll be replacing mine with.

[/b]

Could someone please take a picture and post to this forum where the filters are normally found? I would like to look under and see, just haven't had any real time. It would also give me an idea where to look instead of following all the P/S lines around.

Thanks!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM

QUOTE (ricer333 @ Mar 31 2010, 12:34 PM)
Quote:
Could someone please take a picture and post to this forum where the filters are normally found? I would like to look under and see, just haven't had any real time. It would also give me an idea where to look instead of following all the P/S lines around.[/b]
I can't right now, because I have the entire cradle & drivetrain on the floor, doing an engine swap. But I'll try to take a pic when I've got it back up where it belongs .

It's quite easy to spot, when you're under the car doing an oil change or whatever.

I do not know what years have this factory-fitted PS filter; I can only say that this 1998 Sable Wagon does.

Regards,
Al S.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to fonicsmonkey Send a message via MSN to fonicsmonkey
QUOTE (ricer333 @ Mar 31 2010, 03:34 PM)
Quote:
Could someone please take a picture and post to this forum where the filters are normally found? I would like to look under and see, just haven't had any real time. It would also give me an idea where to look instead of following all the P/S lines around.

Thanks![/b]
I remember seeing a pic of it in a Haynes manual...If I remember correctly, its practically runs along the drivers side of the sub frame.

A little left of center.... ( - _ - )
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:32 PM

(click on any image for larger)

The Magnefine/Raybestos/ATP JX160 inline ATF filter (with a 25 micron element and magnet) retrofits well to this application; the Magnefine fits well into OEM filter clamp on the left subframe rail.

For the search engine, the OEM filter looks like an AC Delco part, with a number of PF-2125, but Google didn't find me any info about that.

The Magnafine inline filter can be had cheaper than the way I bought it locally, but I live in the sticks and I like to buy local.
sheila likes this.

Regards,
Al S.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Bump: Update!!!!

It's been nearly two years since installing the Magnefine filter in my 94 Taurus P/S return line, in order to see if it would have a positive affect on the pesky randomly returning off center shudder & it seems to be doing it's thing, as all is still well with the shudders.

P/S pump is also still quiet too!!!! No whine.

The Motorcraft type F fluid color is still good & the blotter spot test is good, nice even color, no ring deposits are visable.

SO, anyone having the beginnings of P/S system problems, maybe give serious consideration to a system cleaning treatment with Seafoam Trans Tune, or maybe 1oz of Auto-Rx in the fluid, drive it until the symptoms clear up, then flush the system with the remainder of the Trans Tune & a really good quality specified tranny fluid, add, or change your P/S system filter after the flush & see if you too will get positive results.

Nice photos above, asavage.

Payload & Tow Pkg

Last edited by pawpaw; 07-12-2010 at 11:38 AM.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Bump/Update:

Well it's been a little over 3 years now, since flushing the power steering systems with SeaFoam Trans Tune & a couple of qts of the specified tranny fluid & adding an inline Magnefine filter to the low pressure power steering return lines at the cooler, on my 94 Taurus & 99 Ranger & both P/S systems are still "shudder" free & the Taurus pump is still quiet.

SO, it seems for me & the intermittent returning shudder, or loss of boost problems, were being caused by something that the Magnefine filter is removing from the fluid.
The Trans Tune cleaning seemed to be responsible for quieting the P/S pump whine down & the filter seems to be keeping it quiet, at least for the past 3 years.

SO, those with noisy P/S pumps, or shudder, or momentary loss of boost, maybe consider a good cleaning & flush & add a good quality filter to the low pressure P/S return line at the cooler & see how it goes, before throwing expensive parts at your P/S problem.

I've recently seen the Magnefines online for $15ea shipped & that's not a bad deal.
Also have seen a similiar inline filter made by Wix available & it's priced close to, or slightly below the Magnefine. Ford now has one too & it looks to be made by Wix, but they want a Kings ransom for it with the Ford logo on it!!!! lol

Payload & Tow Pkg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page