Alert! Dorman Cam Synchronizer Assembly! - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
OMG I just came to the maintenance and repair section here to post a question about oil leaking through the $600 locating a drastically leaking (oil) engine! I can't believe this, because on of the leaks reported to me was from the CPS...and I just saw it with my own eyes. I will get an OEM one and replace it immediately. DO NOT BUY THE DORMAN part, in fact, I am contacting Rock Auto right now.

Mine was on a 2001 Taurus. [/b]
I take it you have a dorman installed now.

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
<div class='quotemain'> OMG I just came to the maintenance and repair section here to post a question about oil leaking through the cps. I just spent $600 locating a drastically leaking (oil) engine! I can't believe this, because on of the leaks reported to me was from the CPS...and I just saw it with my own eyes. I will get an OEM one and replace it immediately. DO NOT BUY THE DORMAN part, in fact, I am contacting Rock Auto right now.

Mine was on a 2001 Taurus. [/b]
I take it you have a dorman installed now.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, the Dorman is in the car right now, and the car is at the shop right now. I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow and drive it back to my house (1.5 miles). I am wondering now if I should spend the $300 they wanted to replace the CPS with a good one. It would save me a lot of headache if I get home and the Dorman comes out in pieces or something. I need to know if it will just pull straight out like the first one did.

It's a simple enough job to do, if there aren't any complications.
post #23 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:41 PM

Rock Auto said that the Dorman part has a lifetime warranty. However, this is something that I am no longer comfortable with as if this part fails my engine could suffer severe damage....let alone oil all over my garage floor.

According to RA policy, if the part is warranteed, they must ship you a new replacement part. I expressed my disatisfaction with this, and the customer service person said that the only other thing he could do would be to give me a store credit if and only if they were unable to fulfill the shipment. Lucky me, they are currently out of stock and I can get a store credit.

When I get the Dorman out of the car, I will take pics and post here.

Buyer beware.

Damn, I am pissed. Nice Xmas this just became.

post #24 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

I shot you a PM back thebbbrain. Im telling you guys there are going to be countless others have these to fail. I hope they find there way to this thread for documentation.

86 Mustang.....Stock Block 408....Iron Heads....All Motor
Best to Date: [email protected] mph with a 1.36 60ft. 1/8 mile
post #25 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:54 PM

Ok, I have to old part out of the car. Nothing out of the ordinary (nothing apparantly broken) to report, so I didn't take any pictures. It is evident however, that oil was coming up through the center of the synchro and finding it's way to the underside of the Taurus and then to the floor of my garage by way of the CP sensor. The inside of the sensor is completely coated with oil. Strange thing is that there are o-rings to contain the oil, so I am not completely sure where the oil was coming out. All I know is that when it started to leak, it was leaking a whole lot! The spot on the floor went from about 2" square to over a square foot in 2 days....and the transmission area near the CPS was completely covered with oil and the cps housing was completely covered externally as well. Once the car was completely cleaned, it was allowed to sit and run. After the run period, the cps was completely covered in oil again.

Just keep your eyes peeled for leaks around the CPS if you develop a mysterious leak after installing one of these parts.
post #26 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

The oil is coming up thru the assembly.......and into the sensor area and leaking from there I assure you. The gear and shaft are deflecting off the camshafts gear and due to the piss poor tolerances...causing it to wipe out the bushing/seals.

post #27 of 234 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:44 AM

I just installed ford synchro ($132) and sensor ($32) from local ford dealer.
I had a variable squeak but no apparent damage. Observations:

1)nobody had any aftermarket syncros in stock - Dorman is only choice listed for Advance, autozone also lists cardone new and rebuilt w/core $
2) marked manifold with synchro slot and both sides of tab
3)index the trigger tab ~ 1 tooth to the left of target just before engagement of gears as it will rotate about that much clockwise as it engages the gears.
4) After relearn, idle was noticeably smoother, squeak gone
post #28 of 234 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 PM

I have my Dorman part installed with only about 200 or so miles on it. I, too, will keep a close eye on it to see if things go bad. I guess I should pop it out at about 1,000 or so miles to see if the roll pin is still OK.
Curious to see if others will have problems....
post #29 of 234 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I have my Dorman part installed with only about 200 or so miles on it. I, too, will keep a close eye on it to see if things go bad. I guess I should pop it out at about 1,000 or so miles to see if the roll pin is still OK.
Curious to see if others will have problems....
[/b]
Def keep eye out for an oil leak around the sychro (Dorman) and tranny area. Like I described, it was a lot of oil when it started going...not like a drop here or there. I looked under it car and could see three drips ready to fall at once! Big mess. So far so good (after replacement), no more drips, floor is dry.

post #30 of 234 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE>

I just finished putting a Reman/A1 Cardone(#30-S2600L) unit in my step-daughters 99 Taurus...the darn origional started chriping like a nest of birds the other day. The bushings were toast.....110,000 miles.

YOU WONT BELEIVE THIS!!!!!!!

I pulled the unit out of the box and was getting ready to install it and I hearda rattle in the unnit like a ball bearing ratting around. I found the problem! There was a damn odd shpe hunk of steel stuck up in the bottom of the syncroshaft. This was lodged all the way at the bottom of the hole where the shaft was drilled. When I say bottom I mean at the same depth the gear is on the shaft. I eventually after 10-15 mins get it to fall out (freaking miracle). I have identified what it was. It was a damn component they use in the tumblers when they recondition(clean) the damn thing. WTF!!! If I had not noticed and removed it, Im thinking?..... could it possibly cause the oil pump shaft to bottom out prematurely......Im not sure how far up in the syncro it goes. I should have looked up in the old one before I took it in for core. Please inspect ALL parts. The A1 Cardone parts are great but they missed this.........Human error missed it during inspection.

The SAGA continues.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1716.JPG (34.3 KB, 880 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page