Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum - View Single Post - AX4N: replacing torque converter or new transmission
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:57 AM
chartmaker
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
What are the symptoms? And more importantly what is the warranty on the replacement transmission? If the trans has a weak short warranty then find another place. If it was just a stripped out torque converter spline your trans guy should have be able to diagnosis that in five minutes.
Pic of old school Ford tran test. Pull the dipstick, wipe it off and get fresh dip and drop a drop on a clean paper towel. Leave it couple hours. If there is a ring round the first drop area, it is too dirty and damage has been done. As in the pic, all is good. I suck the fluid out the dipstick and replace every other year. Then check the vent cap for free air escape. Another key indication: if the rpm rises during the 1-2 or 2-3 shift, your tran is worn. Shifts should be "crisp'. TQ lockup should also be "crisp".

Years ago, I bought used LTD and it had TQ clutch chatter. I was driving about 3-400 miles per week road miles. Each weekend, I would suck the old fluid out and replace it. After 3-4 exchanges the tranny worked chatter free till a tree fell on it and totaled it years later. Initial fluid pull out was dark, later cleared up.
-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TranFlTest.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	208647  

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome