Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

New Struts - Motorcraft, or something else?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Mustang5L5 
#1 ·
Hitting 100K on my '14 Limited soon. Need to do a few maintenance items as well as some front suspension repairs. Strut mounts are making noises, so i just ordered some new strut mounts.

Looking at struts, do I go with motorcraft units, or something else like KYB?

Not looking for any performance gain or improvement...just want something to last 25-50K more miles until i trade in the car for a SHO. :)

Looking at pics, it seems like struts are pretty straightforward. Spring compressor on the spring and use an impact to remove the center nut. Swap the spring over and reinstall the strut mount and call it a day?

Rear shocks also look like one bolt at bottom and one inside the trunk and that's it?

#2 ·
Thats about it really. For a Taurus, I would recommend something like Monroe or the equivalent. Since you dont plan on keeping it long..

The big thing is there has been a bad rash of bad upper strut bearing plate failures as of late. So be sure that you got a good one, with a warranty if its not.

#3 ·
I would go with KYB. High quality and likely cheaper than Motorcraft.

Reactions: sheila
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.