Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum - View Single Post - 05 Shift issue
Thread: 05 Shift issue
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:36 AM
chartmaker
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Old Dave View Post
Wife texted me. Turning right after it warms up she had the evidently common 1-2 shift issue. Battery died this morning before work. Outlasted its warranty, so good there. Has the FFV motor. Reading posts and it looks like this is a drive by wire car. Given I had to disconnect the battery long enough for the check engine light for the number 2 cylinder to go out, I'm thinking the powertrain is still learning and this issue is a one off. No message on the dash or trans light.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Plenty of posts here where weak battery or charging system cause all kinds of problems. Add bad grounds and cables to this.
I replace my batteries every 3 winters, no matter what. I replaced my Alt with NEW ones at about 125-135K. They were well worn and would just fail some inconvenient day. '03's DOHC. I had 2 regulator fails on my '02 Lin Cont (same Alt as DOHC Bulls) First one cost me $530 and a night in a motel. At 47K miles. Second I did at home but had to cancel a road trip.
Thus no rebuilds as they reuse the regulator.

-chart-

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome