Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum - View Single Post - More transmission fun!!
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Nytr013

More transmission fun!!

Last week, my torque converter sheared the splines on my way back to Houston from Lake Charles. Changed it out. Got everything back together. Yes, I used a torque wrench on the pan bolts. Ran it through the gears a few times to fill and check level. Everything is good. No leaks, level is holding and it goes into gear nicely. I test drive it on the freeway (just a quick trip) and everything is fine. I come home and park it. Everything is still fine. I drive back to Lake Charles and nothing seems out of place. I smell a bit of trans fluid, but I don’t see any leaks. I come out the next morning to a murder site. Trans fluid everywhere. I get back to the hotel after work and check it out. A couple of the pan bolts seem a tad looser than it should be. I check all tightness. Everything seems ok again. I fill it up thinking that maybe my pan was loose or improperly torqued. No leaks.
I drive it to the store and around Lake Charles to go shopping. Everything is fine. The next morning another puddle. Ok. I know for a fact that they were torqued this time. Wtf. Start doing some googling on this problem. I found a couple of posts here about a transmission vent. So none of the parts store in LC has them. I’m still on time constraints for my trip home. I Found one in Houston. Got a ride back to Houston and then back to Lake Charles. I go to swap out the vent and I see that it’s different. Damn. So I start looking more into this rubber vent. It’s all the way down. I pull it up in hopes that it helps. I start filling the trans back up. Mercon V is getting expensive. Starts dribbling. Pan gasket is blown out.

Could that be what blew out my gasket? Or do I have other issues?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome