Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2001 tech, driver side oil leak

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  IkeNewton 
#1 ·
Cannot locate.

Yes I did a forum search but everyone quotes the passenger side or the oil pan gasket. This is on the driver side, and JUST started, was not a slow buildup that's gotton worse. Seems sudden onset. Very high, enough to get oil in the battery tray.

Something that commonly leaks on that side?

If it helps the PO MAY have overfilled the oil... I have not been able to check yet. Letting the car cool now and will report back-pretty sizable leak though and no lights yet so I think overfilled for sure....

What oil bits are on that side?

Again 2001 duratech, 132,000. Driver side oil leak. significant.

thanks for the help

#3 ·
Now, it's not red... Doesn't SEEM like tranny oil....

The ONLY thing some people have said on past threads is that the water pump driving crank thingy has a seal... I think that would be obvious though.

CAN confirm power steering was overfull... But again. shouldn't that be red too and that reservoir hasn't gone down any (i'm gonna baster some out later).

#7 ·
Right?! It's blowing my mind... I GUESS it could be something towards the middle of the engine that is someone making it's way over to the from and area on the driver side... Idk how though...

I saw one post thinking it's possible, but unlikely, that the shaft seal or whatever the heck it's called for the water pumps drive could go out... Pretty sure that would make itself obvious though. I'll try to get pictures when I can.

I don't know what PS fluid is in it, jsut bought the car. It drove fine and didn't leak a drop of anything (except for later mentioned coolant which I knew about) for 300 miles) Second I get the temp off (literally at the dmv) here springs forth this wonderful leak... Great.

Power steering fluid being overflow maybe blow a line or something over on that side? What's over there...?

it's definitely not coolant
it's oily, looks oily, feels oily, tastes oily... There IS a coolant leak over there, but I can separate the two pretty distinctly

#10 ·
OOOOkaaay

SO it DID have waaaay too much oil and was wheezing out of the valve covers I think, also though... The coolant block thing that brings together 3 lines was crunchy crusty and crappy in multiple spots... so my puddle was oily because oil was sitting ontop of the coolant...

Anyone know what that part is called...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.