Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Josh's 1996 Rose Mist Taurus SHO (Barney)

89K views 450 replies 38 participants last post by  thefranchise713 
#1 · (Edited)
Well. I never thought the day would come so soon, but I found a '96 SHO on craigslist for $500. After consideration by dad, we went up to Ravenna and purchased this Rose Mist SHO for $400, and towed it home on the tow dolly.

Details:

1996 Ford Taurus SHO.
3.4L Yamaha/Cosworth 32V DOHC V8
AX4N Automatic Trans
Rose Mist Metallic (Car #21 of 86 Rose Mist SHO's Produced)
Graphite Leather Interior
Mileage At Purchase: 119,631
Current Mileage: 126,500

Optional Equipment: PEP 211B (Power Sunroof, Keyless Entry System, Perimeter Anti-Theft, EATC , JBL Premium Audio System), 16" Chromies, Leather Seats, 6-Disc CD Changer, and Daytime Running Lamps.

I have ALL service records from new. Over $5,000 was spent on maintenance and repairs.

Sold new at Prestige Ford (now AutoNation Ford) in Bellevue, Washington.

Issues Resolved Since Purchase:
- Replacement Of: Alternator x2, MegaFuse, Brake Master Cylinder, Headlight Bulbs, Radio ICP Football, Passenger Sunvisor, Driver & Passenger Airbag, Windshield, Antenna & Base
- Brake Bleed
- Tire Rotation
- Transmission Fluid Flush & Filter Replacement
- Full Interior and Exterior Detail
- Camshaft Welding

Modification List:
- GenTex Auto Dim Rear View Mirror
- 1997-1999 OEM SHO V8 Fender Emblems
- LED Interior/Exterior Conversion
- 1998-1999 Center Console Cupholder Insert
- Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped B & C Window Pillars

This is what it looked like when I picked it up:

And here's a recent shot to give you an idea of what a clean Rose Mist looks like:

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks everyone!

Dad said I have to keep it stock until the car gets put in my name. But Window tint, carbon fiber trim, LEDs, projector headlight conversion, and some other touches.

#14 ·
Oh totally. While it was only $400, I do have the brains not to start modding without some sort of slush fund.

Great find, congratulations.
Cam welding is a must and should be done right after you fix the brakes IMO...otherwise that car will LOOK nice sitting there with tints, carbon fiber, and LED's
Thanks! I know it's a must and I am definitely going to check it before it goes on the road. If it isn't done I'll make an appointment with the welding teacher (professional welder) at my school to have it done very very soon.
So the car's name is Rosemist? Not Barney?
HA! I don't really have a name for it. Barney seems too childish, but that's what the previous owner's called it. So to make sure my log follows the rules I put Rosemist, plus, that draws attention to it :)

#19 ·
A projector retrofit isn't necessarily a cheap affair, you know lol

I saw four projector sets just sitting along the road in gutters this morning, it's very cheap. I also dodged streetglow and Rose Mist body panels in the parking lot at work. Not to mention the rolls and rolls of carbon fiber wrap.

#23 ·
I saw four projector sets just sitting along the road in gutters this morning, it's very cheap. I also dodged streetglow and Rose Mist body panels in the parking lot at work. Not to mention the rolls and rolls of carbon fiber wrap.
HA! I get it!

#24 ·
First update to the log!!!!!!

I decided to fiddle with the fuses tonight thinking that it wouldn't do anything, but tried it anyways.

Any who, I replaced 3 fuses and voila! ICP Bezel now works! JBL Sound system is amazing! EATC works, and my speedo/odo are functioning properly (again)!

That's all for now, folks!

Reactions: jobales
#25 ·
Always follow cheap stuff first, good! Free is the right price.

Next question is why did the fuse pop...hopefully you don't have electrical issues - those are never fun to deal with. But the alternator not operating properly could be why they popped - you should have seen my SHO when the alternator was dying. Voltage regulator was not doing a good job.

#28 ·
Well I've discovered that somebody installed a PIE Adapter for iPhone/iPod.

Auto part Technology Material property Hand Electronic device

That, in combination with the dead battery and alternator is probably what blew the fuse.

Since I don't have an iPhone, I'm going to buy an adapter for the iPhone plug and use it with my Android.

Whoever did the install, (probably Best Buy) must've broken the cupholders, so I removed them for cleaning and repaired the springs that weren't in place, and hot glued the cupholder's face plate back on. It works excellent now!

(Broken)
Automotive lighting Auto part Vehicle Rear-view mirror Automotive mirror

I also took some time to polish up the two front chromies. They look amazing now!
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Rim

That's it for today, folks. Stay tuned!

#34 ·
Josh's 1996 Ford Taurus SHO (Rosemist)

30 pin dock connector (standard plug would be the 3.5mm jack on everything). No adapter exists, it's useless without an older iPod or older iPhone (2004-2011 models) Given that Apple dominated the music player market it's not exactly unexpected they had one, and this would have let them charge and play music with one plug.

There are 30-pin to Lightning but not 30-pin to 3.5mm. Either get a device that can use it or replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.