Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum - View Single Post - Intermittent starting issue, probably entire starting system
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Essenar

Chapter: West Coast

Intermittent starting issue, probably entire starting system

So I have a 3.0 Duratec OHV in my SE. I had an issue with my starter, swapped it out. Then I still had an issue so I called a mechanic. That ended up being a bad idea. I paid $80 for him to tighten up the battery cables and I had to argue for that price. He wanted to charge me $150 and he didn't even use a voltmeter. So now here I am. My car started in the morning after I fought with it for five minutes.

Previous symptoms after new starter:
If I hold the key to ignite, it clicks intermittently and eventually it starts to crank. That's if it works.

If I am cold, it will have a LOT of trouble starting. I have to keep it clicking for a long time before it cranks. Once it cranks, it only needs to crank once or twice and she's off.

My yellow flag should be the battery symbol in the car. But it seems like no matter what I do I always have this light.

When warm, the car started fine, until today.

Now it still gives me **** cold. Like it will NOT start cold and I have to really fight with it.

After clicking for like 5 minutes it eventually gets going.

But now, it won't even start when hot. I just came back inside my work building after being outside for 10 minutes. It started twice in 10 minutes after repeated attempts, holding the key. Some times if I press the brake REALLY hard, it'll fire right up. But even warm it won't start right away. Now it won't start at all.

I think it's the battery but I don't have a voltmeter. None of the headlights are dim but now the windows are a LITTLE slow on battery alone.

The thing is, I also feel like it's the battery cables. I'm truly sick of this car. My friend has a Corolla with 170000 miles, 10 years older than mine, runs like a dream and has only needed a timing belt and general maintenance.

My car has had the doomed brake booster failure (which is a ROYAL pain in the butt to remove. Ford engineers need to be fired for how they designed the layout of the engine), also had an IACV which I replaced with a crappy after market part that means I can't run AC in town anymore or it'll stall. Then the starter, now this. This car was built to fall apart and I hate when people say "well it's a fleet vehicle" like that's somehow justification for this car falling apart. How? There's plenty of other fleet vehicles which are built to last.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome