Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Installing water temp gauge

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Lgbpop 
#1 ·
Last summer I had some issues with water temp (according to the stock gauge) with the AC on. In stop and go traffic the gauge got into the danger zone a few times.

This summer I'd like to install an aftermarket gauge to get a better indication of what the water temp ACTUALLY is.

I am a semi-competent home mechanic, but I know nothing about how to go about installing a temp gauge.

Can anyone tell me how I would go about this with the 3.4L?

#2 · (Edited)
Last summer I had some issues with water temp (according to the stock gauge) with the AC on. In stop and go traffic the gauge got into the danger zone a few times.

This summer I'd like to install an aftermarket gauge to get a better indication of what the water temp ACTUALLY is.

I am a semi-competent home mechanic, but I know nothing about how to go about installing a temp gauge.

Can anyone tell me how I would go about this with the 3.4L?
There are a variety of gage systems that tap the OBDII port. U could on some have a set point warning for a temp.

The OBD info is quite accurate.

Added pic of my simple carchip recorder and temp from ~100 degree outside driving in highway, and city stop and go. Of course it has no display, but records data you choose, play back on computer. Does let me see when the fans kick in to manage the temp.

-chart-

#6 ·
The scan guage is pretty neat for someone who is not so tech savy. I checked out the website quickly and the online price is about $170. It also has gas mileage monitoring and odometer options that you may want to frequently use.

The more economical approach would be what Bull Geek suggested. Assuming you have the tech skills and a laptop.

#7 ·
No skill required...download a phone app and buy a $20 OBD II plug. Thats it.

#8 · (Edited)
I am probably going to go with a high dollar obd gauge, data recorder, programmer if we can get it worked out to work with my 06 as well. It is similar to the Dash Daq N just tweaked to also be a programmer and should work with all of my Fords including my Powerstroke.

#9 ·
I'm a little bit disappointed I didn't know such tools exist for such little cost.
I'll be reading up on obd2 apps and getting a bluetooth adapter in the near future.
My 6 y/o has a nice 9" android tablet that should make a great monitor :)

#16 ·
2000 models will not flash the Trans light on key on self test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.