What grinds your gears? - Page 101 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1001 of 3355 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousa632 View Post
What I think is hilarious is tonight she is doing vocabulary where she had to write the words, the definition, then use it in a sentence. Frustrated being one of the words..... she did it on her own and the sentence read "I'm frustrated with my math homework" Yea... she's mine
Didn't see that coming after last night huh? No, not much.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 3355 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

They are limited to the number of people applying to the position. Therefore, the results are quite open to interpretation. Nevertheless, within my parameters 100% of the applicants failed a math test. Geography has nothing to do with it, unless someone is trying to insinuate that those who apply for work here are more stupid than those elsewhere.

The nature of the position is one that's extremely heavy in basic math. I need someone capable of adding whole numbers and decimals to accomplish the typical requirements of the job, and to be able to extend invoice amounts and figure sales tax and quantity discounts by percentage. In other words, what used to be taught by junior high school 40 years ago.

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1003 of 3355 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Banned

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgbpop View Post
In the past eleven months I have interviewed nine people for an open position. All nine failed a basic math test. They couldn't even figure out 6% sales tax on a $100 test amount.

Some things are quantifiable. BTW, 9/9 is 100%. Not 99.9%.

That's why I like math. Answers are either correct, or incorrect. Save the shades of gray for sociology.

Interesting. You know what, I waited in line for almost 10 minutes to order some takeout earlier today, because two old women were both confused about the amount of cash and change that they needed to count out in order to pay for their meals. Each came up short multiple times, but just kept yelling at the cashiers trying to do their jobs.

So, that means that you, Lgbpop, also suck at math because I just established a 100% failure rate (2/2) for the "over 50 years of age" demographic. See how your kind of logic works in the real world?

post #1004 of 3355 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

Geography has nothing to do with it, unless someone is trying to insinuate that those who apply for work here are more stupid than those elsewhere.
What, in Florida? Nooooooo, of course not!

Last edited by sousa632; 09-26-2013 at 08:01 PM.
post #1005 of 3355 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northern

Quote:
within my parameters
Exactly, within your parameters.

Quote:
Geography has nothing to do with it, unless someone is trying to insinuate that those who apply for work here are more stupid than those elsewhere.

The nature of the position is one that's extremely heavy in basic math. I need someone capable of adding whole numbers and decimals to accomplish the typical requirements of the job, and to be able to extend invoice amounts and figure sales tax and quantity discounts by percentage. In other words, what used to be taught by junior high school 40 years ago.
As far as geography goes, it can play a role. Schools in some areas are better than others. Granted, across the entire US, the variation won't be large enough to affect an average, but as far as a metro area goes, some areas will be better than others.

I don't know if I would fit exactly into the generation you're talking about, but speaking for myself, I'm capable of simple math similar to what you're talking about. Now, I'm not a math wizard, but I did very well in math class throughout high school and was towards the top of my math classes.

The same principle could be applied to other areas of education as well; reading, writing, sciences, etc., but the bottom line is that it isn't accurate to represent an entire population of hundreds of thousands or millions of people into one category based on 9 individuals that have succeeded in souring your perception of the rest of us.

David

2004 SEL Comfort ~ Shadow Grey Metallic ~ Mach upgrade with Pioneer speakers in the doors and Kenwood speakers in the rear deck ~ tinted windows ~ amber rear turn signal mod
post #1006 of 3355 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Watch it everyone........... Brian I edited your post.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #1007 of 3355 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

[QUOTE=Lgbpop;1952786]They are limited to the number of people applying to the position. Therefore, the results are quite open to interpretation. Nevertheless, within my parameters 100% of the applicants failed a math test. Geography has nothing to do with it, unless someone is trying to insinuate that those who apply for work here are more stupid than those elsewhere.

QUOTE]

My geography reference had to do with the state of 'economic recovery' differing by region. If you are offering an entry level position at commensurately low wages then it follows that in an area with higher employment levels you will have less desirable candidates than in an area with a bleaker picture. Ignorance and stupidity on the other hand, know no boundaries, of course. There is no dumb ass vaccine after all.

It's SHO time!

post #1008 of 3355 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Quote:
I'm sorry, but the fellow businessmen I know - employers all - echo my gripe....the new, "improved" standards are producing kids/entry-level employees less capable of basic math than those taught 20 years ago the old, "inferior" way. When addition/subtraction were first mastered, then multiplication/division, kids understood the relationships between the two. Now, kids don't master anything. I can't afford to hire people who can't multiply and divide - and I am not talking in the Biblical sense. I don't want idiots working for me...but that's all the schools are putting out.

They feel good about themselves, though.

If you think about it, under the traditional math, all the student would be mastering is elementary geometry because the time involved to teach math by going from addition, then subtraction, then multiplication, then division, then algebra then geometry, then calculus and trig would take more than 15-16 years to do. Furthermore, the relationships of addition to multiplication is not as evident if we completely separate them.

We now teach multiplication along with addition and here, we directly teach how multiplication is like addition, but a lot quicker to add a set of numbers together rather than stringing a bunch of facts together. Same with subtraction and division.

The traditional method assumes the teacher is teaching math by rote memory, by requiring students to memorize a bunch of facts and figures, not teaching that math is an abstract concept where particular problems don't always coincide what people do in real life. Here is the key component. Traditional math requires rote memorization, where the newer math is an abstract reasoning of math, where the focus is not how the problem is solved, but the whys of how math is computed.

With the problem of 26+17=43, traditional math teaches the concrete answer of 43 and stops right there. The newer math teaches the process of how 43 is the answer by making it understood that 26 and 17, reorganized is made into a base 10 formula, and calculating it so the 26 becomes 30, and the 17 becomes 13, then adding 30 to 13, making 43. Here we teach kids multiplication process at the same time we are examining addition but doing it in an abstract form.

We use base 10 in how place value is determined and how most items are sold in multiples of 10, 12 and so forth. This streamlines a whole bunch of numbers that can easily be calculated without much trouble.

Years ago, math was first taught in first grade, but now Kindegarteners are learning what first and second graders learned years ago.

I have been doing this for the last 28 years, and I have seen traditional math to the new math and see the way it is taught. It takes practice getting out of rote memory, but I see the new math teaching kids math in ways that would have taken a lot longer to compute years ago, but now takes less than a minute to do.
post #1009 of 3355 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

The biggest issue, IMO, is a serious lack of critical thinking and problem solving skills, as well as imagination, ingenuity, and creativity. I deal with lots of employees every day, with frequent changes, and frequently my boss and I are driven nuts by the people we deal with.

But that's just my opinion.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

post #1010 of 3355 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
The biggest issue, IMO, is a serious lack of critical thinking and problem solving skills, as well as imagination, ingenuity, and creativity. I deal with lots of employees every day, with frequent changes, and frequently my boss and I are driven nuts by the people we deal with.

But that's just my opinion.

I see this as a teacher as well. What I find is critical thinking in education is not done, and I am required to not teach how to think in a critical means.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page