Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum - View Single Post - Accessing Advanced Ford PIDs With a Scan Tool
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 11:29 PM
cclngthr

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by behlinla View Post
As far as I can tell, the most expensive Innova scan tool does not do anything with MS CAN. It also looks like it only supports the main modules on HS CAN like PCM, ABS, and SRS. For example, it will probably not be able to retrieve any PAM codes, and certainly not any SJB codes over MS CAN whereas FORScan can. The point is the software above is FREE and combined with a $10-20 scan tool it will do almost as much as a professional grade scan tool that costs thousands of dollars!

If your point of posting is to question the usefulness of this article, I suggest you download FORScan and try it out for yourself with a modified scan tool to see all the things you are missing. It works with Mazda too.
The scan tool I have is able to do everything a dealer tool does, which is based off the same web based system the dealers use.

As I said, a lot of the data is generic and used on every car, not just for one particular brand of vehicle. The way I interpreted the comment was it claimed to be accessed only on Fords, not other cars

The Forscan software is only for a Ford, and it appears not to work with GM or other manufacturers; which I would have an issue with because I don't only see a Ford based vehicle. I want something that is compatible with multiple manufacturers; which does come with a high price tag, I paid around $50,000 for my tool. That one is a laptop PC with the different manufacturer applications with a wireless port for the hardware to plug in to the car (the scan tool PC can be on my bench and the terminal that plugs into the OBD2 port in the car would send the data through a dedicated wireless network to the computer).

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome