Paint correction: 2002 Subaru WRX STI - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Paint correction: 2002 Subaru WRX STI

This was a unique detail. The client contacted me & had a SPECIFIC budget $$$. However, he thought his paint was in much better condition than he realized. Lol. You know the guy: "Oh man, it's in good shape. I wax it every month." Always cracks me up when people think that a coat of wax "fixes" all their problems. NEEDLESS to say, this thing was HAMMERED. Had never seen a proper wash or polisher in 10 years of existence. So after my initial wipedown, I contacted the client, and we decided the ENTIRE budget would go towards paint correction, and no $$$ spent on interior or engine bay or wheels & tires. On top of that, the weather wasn't cooperating. Night time drop off, night time work, & night time pickup. So, unfortunately there are no daytime or sunlight pics (due to rain), only under crucial light in my garage. Upon this realization, here was the process:This thing was NEGLECTED!! On with the pics! When I say it was neglected, I wasn't kidding!

Some 50/50 shots during correction. The client and I agreed that 100% perfect was out of his budget, so we decided to shoot for about the 80% correct mark. And I feel we achieved that.

The plastic trim on this baby was oxidized & faded, BAD. After a good cleaning, I revitalized the trim with Adam's SVRT.

And here's some "finished" shots. Again, I apologize for not being able to snag some daylight shots. But these halogens are pretty revealing.

Again, I apologize for the lack of sunlight pictures for this particular writeup, it was a busy/weird time frame for me. Hope you enjoyed, and as always, if you have any questions, just ask!! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner & Master Detailer of Insane Paint Auto Detailing ~ Birmingham, AL
Garage Queen - '06 SRT426 Charger: Modified beyond belief, the right way, by the right builders

Wife's - 2013 SHO: A couple things done
Shop Truck - 2013 F150: "Root Beer"

Adam's Polishes Product Representative
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest

So do you think all those swirl marks were caused by him waxing a dirty car or using a dirty towel for buffing? Or is it just because Subaru's have weak paint like I've heard? Nice job resorting the paint though!

How much polishing can you do before you worry about removing all the clear coat?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Well....it's tough to say. But here's what I hear a lot of, owning my own detail biz: "Yeah man, my car is in pretty good shape, I keep it pretty clean, and keep it waxed every couple of months. But I'd like to see what you can do."

Which I've figured out, translates to: "I know I've jacked my **** up over the past few years. And while I TRY to keep it clean, I know I'm doing it wrong, so can you please fix it?"

Lol. My guess is this guy simply has NO IDEA of the correct process, and he uses horrible quality towels. As for the clear coat.....I could've done this process 10 times and would still have nothing to worry about.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Garage Queen - '06 SRT426 Charger: Modified beyond belief, the right way, by the right builders

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

I'm kinda surprised that you didn't hit this beast with Revive before going to the SSR and the S&HR...I've found that going over the vehicle with Revive really assures that you have a clean surface to work with before doing paint correction? Not being critical, just wondering?

2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+X Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, 160 Evenflo Thermostat, V3 Triton Switchback LED Front Parking/Turn Signal, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/EBC Yellowstuff Pads
2013 Ford Explorer Limited-Wife's Tow Vehicle
1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon-'Our Family Truckster"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Revive is just a hand polish, it ONLY cleans, but has no cut. The clay bar process would easily "out clean" Revive Hand Polish. Revive is designed for the perfectionist, if no machine polishing is needed. It would have been a totally wasted step to do before the more aggressive polishes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page