TollKeepers 2005 Mercury Montego - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2005
Model: Mercury Montego
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
TollKeepers 2005 Mercury Montego

Now I will admit upfront, that I would have normally never bought a car like this, due to age, value as is, etc..
But this car had all the things I needed to replace my wifes Pontiac Aztek, and the price at 1500 with the miles it has, I thought I would gamble on it.

So this is how the car sat when I bought it from Salvage Auction.

Now the key points to take in the pics is that the door frames on all corners are still fully closed, the doors still opened and closed, and that the rocker is mostly straight. What that means is that it didn't get into the roof, or the floor, and that the damage was localized to the door and B-Pillar.

It also came with a full tank of gas, new Michelin LTX-MS Tires, and only 52000 miles. When I got the car, I cleaned it out, and found some things identifying the previous owner. I found she was a 93 year old lady, who lived in Grand Junction, CO. I did try to contact her, she left a Credit Card, and a Parks Pass, but was unable to do so. It appears she may have been moved to a nursing home, as her home was on the market, and it had a forwarding address to a nursing home. I contacted the bank to where the CC was issued, and they told me that the card had already been cancelled, and to please shred it.
snosaint and kekaye56 like this.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K

Last edited by TollKeeper; 10-15-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So after watching YouTube Videos, I figured out how to remove the seats, and proceeded to remove the doors... And this is what I found underneath.

It looks worse than it really is.. Now I am onto the process of finding a body shop to Cut out, and Weld in the new piece that I have.

Its really hard to tell in the pics, but from the lower hinge up, there is no damage at all, it has been pushed in, but did not bend or kink any metal that you can visually see. Makes repair a lot easier. Even the door seals are complete, with no pinches.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k

Last edited by TollKeeper; 10-15-2018 at 10:38 AM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So at this point (about 2-3 weeks ago now), after searching many salvage yards, I found a 2008 Ford Taurus Limited at a local LKQ Pick-A-Part. I went to the salvage yard, and to my amazement, the passenger doors were in mint condition, with the door handles still attached and in good condition. However someone had taken all the window and motor parts out. Not a big deal, because all of that survived on my doors.

The best part was the doors were in silver, which saves me more money on painting. The bad news was they did come off a Taurus, so they are missing the middle of the door bump strip.

So I took the doors home, and started swapping over window motors, power door locks, and attaching my power mirrors. Everything was going along perfectly..... That is until I went to plug in the door to the car to test functions, and the body harness plug was different from the one on the door. My Montego has options in the door that a Taurus door didnt have, namely the door mirror puddle lights. So now I have to take the door completely back apart to swap over the wiring harness.

***Pictures pending, system wont let me upload them for some reason***

Went back to the salvage yard the next day with my SawsAll, and cut out the B-Pillar. Took me a couple hours, having to stop every now and then and let the battery charge back up. I took way more of the B-Pillar than I needed, but its easier to cut down to the size I need than it is to add metal.

So for the doors, and the B-Pillar, the rocker panel cover, the seat frame rail, I spent 120 bucks. Score!
sheila likes this.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update for 10-13-18

After taking care of our newborn, I was able to start working on it again. Turned the key on the Montego, and the battery was nearly dead. Put my charging pack on it, and let it charge up for 20 min

Got my good old SawsAll out, and cut the crossrail for the passenger front seat. That took a good hour, had to keep stopping to be sure I wasnt getting the metal to hot that it might start a fire on the carpet, or something else. I kept smelling something, but nothing ever sparked up, or anything. Got the rail cut, and the seat partially out, the seat belt was locked, so I had to dismantle the side of the seat plastics, to unbolt, and unplug the harness for the seat belt. Then rolled the seat forward on the tracks so I could remove the cut bar, and took the seat out.

Removed all the lower, and side, B-Pillar trim. Got the seat belt harness unplugged without breaking the plug, and the seat belt removed.

At this point its just a matter of standing back and assessing where you are at in the rebuild/repair process. It appears I have 85% of the parts needed for the reassembly, I need a new seat belt assembly as the one that came out the chassis was cracked and non-usable, the dealer parts for the rocker plastic reattachment. All the B-Pillar moldings and trim pieces survived, as did the trim and moldings for the doors. I already purchased the seat frame cross-rail.. I think I am sitting in pretty decent condition if I can find a body shop willing to only do the B-Pillar removal, straightening, and welding in the new piece. Then I need to start searching eBay or something like it to find the seat belt in the right color, with the wiring harness attached on both ends. Apparently this was a one year only deal for the belt that attaches to the seat side.

I think I may have gotten lucky on the seat belt, as I found one in the right color, with both harnesses, for 63 bucks shipped on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-05-2005...c1~k:rk:5:pf:0

I hate one year only parts, but I guess i should be thankful that I found it.

Pics to come this evening, forgot I put them on my home computer.
sheila likes this.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k

Last edited by TollKeeper; 10-16-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Created a better timeline by adding dates
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:00 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Lotta work!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
^ Lotta work!
Yea, but thankfully I wasnt planning on a fast rebuild, as my wife and I still have our main daily drivers...

What pisses me off to no end is that after I bought the car, and she saw it, she decides that she doesnt like it, and will stay with her Aztek.. GRR! So I guess I get to replace my 318k mile Envoy Daily Driver with this car. Not exactly what I was hoping for, I drive a truck because my back has 5 blown discs, and getting in and out of something so low to the ground is a royal pain in the a$$!

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k

Last edited by TollKeeper; 10-16-2018 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Surprised you find it too low -- of sedans, that had one of the highest step in heights. Ford was so proud of that, too, "Command Seating" they called it.

There's a part of me that wishes I could buy it off you, honestly. But before you PM me a number--I've got no place to put it!
sheila likes this.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
Surprised you find it too low -- of sedans, that had one of the highest step in heights. Ford was so proud of that, too, "Command Seating" they called it.

There's a part of me that wishes I could buy it off you, honestly. But before you PM me a number--I've got no place to put it!
Not only that, Im a LONG way from New York!

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Well, it is the perfect car for a cross country roadtrip!

thefranchise713

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The Seatbelt Part #

B-Pillar with all the trim removed

The Seatbelt CrossBar that I had to cut off.

New B-Pillar and old B-Pillar

New Doors

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page