TollKeepers 2005 Mercury Montego - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Looks like a pretty neat project and hopefully you can find a body shop to do the cut and replace. Seems like an easy repair to fit up and weld for a DIY welder. The only thing I can see that you may have a issue with, is that car manufacturers sometimes prescribe were cuts can be made to fit in new replacement parts to meet original strength and collision protection. They define the crumple zones and what absorbs energy during crashes. It may not be an issue at all with the car or location of damage.

Are the pillars filled with foam?

Last edited by Automender12345; 10-15-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2005
Model: Mercury Montego
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
Are the pillars filled with foam?
Nope, no foam. The B-Pillar would not be considered a crumple zone, those are forward of the windshield, and behind the rear glass. The doors, and A/B/C pillar are considered the safety cage.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So was able to work on it a bit more. Was in the process of replacing the seats rear frame cross bar. This is when I realized that the damage is a bit worse than predicted. The lower sheet metal floor is straight, however the upper sheet metal floor has been pushed in. So now I have to find a body shop to pull the upper sheet metal floor out, about an inch (-1-), and then I can work on the cut/weld and seat cross bar replacement.

That being said, I was able to get the B-Pillar pushed out enough to hang the new doors, and take the car on a small test drive. Other than I could tell the car has sat for awhile (flat spotted tires), it drove out really well. That CVT trans is a trip to get used to. Good power, and after about 15 miles, the flat spotted tires cleared out, and it drove really well, and quiet, considering I have the interior mostly taken out of the car at the moment.

The body shop I had been hoping to use turned me away. Not because the work was to much, but that they had 9 months of work sitting on their lot, or already committed to and coming in (massive hail storm recently). So I have to find something else.. Hope I can?!?!

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@Automender12345 - You are correct about the manufacture prescribing where cuts can be made. Ford requires it be no less than 2 inchs from a door hinge, or striker. The plan is to cut it pretty much inbetween the lower door hinge, and the striker. Which is at 5 inchs. So in the middle, we will be good.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, Plans changed... Or should I say my back changed the plans for me.

I still have the Montego, but with the 5 blown discs in my back, I was only able to get so much work done before my back said no more...

So it sat sulking and forgotten until my neighbor decided to call City Code Enforcement. I got her started and move to my RV Storage spot on the side of my house.

From there I started calling body shops. And every single one of them said the car isnt worth it, junk it, and move on. GRR!!!

Last week I was headed out to the DMV for work. Got stuck in local traffic, and while waiting on the flagger to let me thru, i noticed sitting next to me was a hole in the wall body shop.

I looked at some of the cars they were working on in their parking lot, and at the cars in the bays. The body work looked good. So I found the owner. He said no problem, and even gave me a quote, without even seeing the car!

I dropped off the car on Saturday. I went and looked at it today, he is already half way done. Has pulled and straightened the frame. Cut and sectioned the B-Pillar. And said it will be done tomorrow!

If all pans out, I will have the car put back together by this weekend, or next (my back permitting), and just need to get it inspected by the state to get it back on the road.

On a side note... Those CVT transmissions are a trip to drive!

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:30 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Can't wait to see this one all back together. Making me miss my own Five Hundred.
kekaye56 likes this.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Its worthless without the pics right!?!?

Still has a full tank of gas.. And the Brand New Michelin Defender tires havent flat spotted yet.

As soon as I get it back, its a matter of going over all the welds from the body shop with some primer and silver paint, than putting the interior back together. I know I saved all the nuts and bolts.. But that was 6 months ago. If I dont have them all, I will have to make a trip to the yard and go on a pocket parts trip. I can think of only 5 nuts that I couldnt locate in my bolt bucket. But they may be in the center console. I put nuts and bolts in there that I thought the body shop may need.

Than its to the state inspector to clear the title.

Than to the insurance agent to get insurance put on it, and lowered on my normal daily driver.

Than to the emission station (no check engine lights, so it should pass)

Than to the license office.

Than to install some tint and a bluetooth adapter. Way to much sun coming thru all those windows. And I need bluetooth to listen to the news every morning.
https://www.usaspec.com/p-320-bt45-ford1.aspx

Than I get to drive it for a week to make sure there are no bugs (since it has been sitting since August last year).

Than it will become my wifes car for 2 weeks, as her rear AWD differential is going out.

Than its mine for the daily driving, and that includes adding a little thump in the trunk!
sheila likes this.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k

Last edited by TollKeeper; 05-20-2019 at 10:22 PM.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This body guy is just singing along...

Says he will have it done by tonight at closing. Cant pick it up until the weekend, so thats ok.

Some of you might have noticed that I made a mistake.. But only if you are looking.

My car is a Frost Silver Metallic. The donor doors are from a Ford Taurus, and that color was not offered. Ford had a Birch Silver Metallic. The birch is slightly more grey, but if you look at the pic above, you can see a color difference, but only ever so slightly.
sheila likes this.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k

Last edited by TollKeeper; 05-21-2019 at 04:14 PM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Went by the shop to see it.. Was hoping for a finished product.... Well it wasnt LOL. Few alignment issues so.. Not in a hurry, just want it done.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As of this evening on my way home from work, doors are hung. They had to remove the front fender to get to the door bolts.

Said it would be done tonight or in the morning, depending on if the welding goes smoothly or not.
sheila likes this.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page