Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
Living in Buffalo myself, believe me I get it.

That really is a great vehicle. It's a very distinctive car, unlike some of the other rebadges of the modern era. Wouldn't mind tooling around that or an LS myself, although the LS I think would be more difficult to keep running.
Attached pic of my present Lin, bought 11-11-11 in Fredricksburg VA.
There are a few for sale down in the rust free belt, many with low miles and no more expensive than a Bull. I am old and do not like change. Spedo is easy to read, controls are easy to manage. Quiet, rides nice, loads of torque, maybe 1 mpg worse than my Sables. 300# heavier than my wagon, 50%+ more cubic inches. Close to the same wheel base, less than inch wider. About foot longer, more rear leg room and more trunk.

If something happend to this one, I would buy another.

Last one made 2002. Mine April 2002. Made well after they stopped taking orders, but they made some speculation cars and auctioned them to dealers. This one had sun roof delete. I like that. See, I am old and set in my ways.

And as to Buffalo, I think we are through with our medical things there. I can live without driving in SNOW, wind, and snow fog.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 11-20-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:04 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
Continentals are nice cars. It's pretty tight in the engine bay, but they have great power, good stopping power, and are fairly comfortable and quiet. Independent rear suspension makes it handle better than a Town Car. And they are more reliable/easier to maintain than a Lincoln LS (those are unf nightmares).

Chart - are you keeping the 2001 sable wagon or still trying to sell it?

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Geek View Post
Continentals are nice cars. It's pretty tight in the engine bay, but they have great power, good stopping power, and are fairly comfortable and quiet. Independent rear suspension makes it handle better than a Town Car. And they are more reliable/easier to maintain than a Lincoln LS (those are unf nightmares).

Chart - are you keeping the 2001 sable wagon or still trying to sell it?
The '01 Sable LS Prem wagon is still for sale. I really like the '03 better than the '01. Quieter, better lighting.

-chart-

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
Yes on both. 03 models were a noticeable improvement.

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 06:48 PM

Is it possible to add the soundproofing to a pre-03 car? Is the soundproofing on the interior, or do they spray some sort of rubberizer under the car? Do they pump something like foam between the sheetmetal? Bull Geek- if you redid the interior of your 00 with 03 parts, did soundproofing carry over?
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sable2000 View Post
Is it possible to add the soundproofing to a pre-03 car? Is the soundproofing on the interior, or do they spray some sort of rubberizer under the car? Do they pump something like foam between the sheetmetal? Bull Geek- if you redid the interior of your 00 with 03 parts, did soundproofing carry over?

I know different door seals are part of the upgrades. The 2003 models have some pretty intricate seal design.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
The sedan was totaled and buy back. Still got dents in the roof, 45K and 3.5 years later, still good car.

The wagon is the '01 and I have '03 identical outside. Only difference is one is column shift, other console. And some rust on the '01.

The Lin Cont, I bought used, just over 3 years ago, 40K miles, pristine, VA car, no sign of rust. It is a keeper.

-chart-
The white '03 sedan just turned 50K miles since totaled. 130K today. Hard to keep a Sable down. See pic totaled due to dents in the roof, this side.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 03-19-2016 at 10:30 AM.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:53 PM
TCCA Facebook Admin

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2008
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
Is it just me or is the rear wheel one of the machined versions?

Josh S.
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - Light Ice Blue
2003 Taurus SHO V8 - Dark Shadow Grey
2002 Taurus SEL Premium - Royal Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Is it just me or is the rear wheel one of the machined versions?
Good eyes. Found the came in polished and painted.
This car was a repos and as is. Rear wheel damaged and leaking air, wheel damaged. Drove it 150 miles home on spare.

Got a wheel at the JY = $10 +$5 core. Got the core back when returned the damaged wheel. Then as time passed got 4 more JY wheels with good tires over time. And had '01 Sable at the time so 2 cars with mix and match wheel styles. Gave away 2 of my wheels with well used tires while back. Of course they stay in the club.

So I still have 2 out back under a tarp but pay little attention to which style is on which car. Now have another Sable, so have 14 wheels total.

-chart-
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Rust Prevent

Here is a pic of my dogleg '01 which I fixed and sold over a year ago. In the pic you see through the outer and inner. flange which was gone has been restored with bondo and fiberglass. Outer reskinned with the same, primed and painted. Then I filled the gap between the fenders with expanding foam through the inside hole. Trimmed off the excess with a hot putty knife, coated the inside with aerosol undercoat. Two more winters and it was sold over a year ago and I saw it recently and it looks fine. On the rockers which had much of the bottom rusted out, I filled them with foam and used decking screws to hold the rocker covers on. They are still holding.

I have 2 '03 Sables which are not yet rusted. I have a plan to treat the gap between the fenders from the inner side. Will post as it goes. Also fog the inside of the rockers.

More to come.

-chart-
sousa632 and Josh like this.

Last edited by chartmaker; 09-14-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page