2005 taurus the rust bucket - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: mult
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Just a thought for you guys. How much of that rust do you think is from constantly tracking in wet salt slop from boots with no floor mats to catch the nasty?

I think your repairs look awesome.

2006 Vulcan 64k GF daily driver
2003 Vulcan 92k My daily driver
2000 Vulcan 115k saved from the scrap yard
1991 3.8 207k drove to junk yard, 1988 Vulcan lost in divorce
2009 Impala 3.0 18k my nice car
1996 F250 Powerstroke my toy-pristine lots of mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Eastern Canada

Send a message via Skype™ to electroguy75
Today after finishing up on the rear passenger floor, I moved on over to drivers front floor pan. Got most of the rust cut away. I cut further up on the firewall than I had to because i wanted to see what was going on with the subframe body mount. Its all good. Just need to prep it with rust converter and treat it with por15. For those who experience stripped bolts when replacing frame bushings, its the square housing you can see over the nut that rusts away. The only way I can see to address this issue is to cut the floor to allow access for a wrench. It was extremely cold today which had an adverse affect on my air tools hence slowing me down some lol. Tomorrow i hope to have the drivers front finished. Thanks people for the kind words and yes i would say that crud from our feet have a whole lot to do with rot. cheers.

2005 taurus the rust bucket-use1.jpg

2005 taurus the rust bucket-use2.jpg

2005 taurus the rust bucket-use3.jpg

2005 taurus the rust bucket-use4.jpg

2005 taurus the rust bucket-use5.jpg
post #23 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

A little update. Finished the drivers side subframe body mount. Got to give it a couple of days to dry before I weld in new floor pan. So I decided to cut off the passenger side rocker panel. There is a middle panel that ties in between the inner floor wall and rocker panel, to enhance the structural strength no doubt. This needs rebuilt before i can tack rocker in place. Didn't get to the carThe last 3 days. they spent plowing out my driveway. Noooo, the driveway is not 3 days large haha. The switch for the blade gave up the ghost. good riddance to it. I spent the last 2 days reconfiguring a better switch setup. Ended up wiring a low current toggle switch to 2 relays gained together to achieve reverse polarity for the winch. The relays are rated for 40 amps so not sure how the contacts will hold up against the heavy current draw of winch. Sorry if im boring you, hehe, and no pics. Will have a few next post. cheers.

post #24 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Keep up the good work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Just a thought for you guys. How much of that rust do you think is from constantly tracking in wet salt slop from boots with no floor mats to catch the nasty?

I think your repairs look awesome.

That is why I have a set of floor liners in the front of my Taurus and I put a set in my '91 silverado after having it completely done over a 1.5 years ago and I put a set in my camry I bought last summer, even though it's not winter driven. It really helps in keeping the carpets dry and prevents staining.

EDIT: Again, great job at fixing the floor and rockers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:42 AM

Chapter: Northeast

electroguy75, how many miles are on that bull? I mean if its a low mileage 2005 then it would be worth it all that work.
post #27 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

It only has 54,000 miles, so it's worth it.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

post #28 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 AM

Chapter: Northeast

54,000 miles, yes def worth it. With proper maintenance that car will go awhile. I'm at 170,000 miles with the original tranny. Yes the taurus needs work but hey, its a cheap car to run.
post #29 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpninja View Post
electroguy75, how many miles are on that bull? I mean if its a low mileage 2005 then it would be worth it all that work.
Falcon nailed it, thks for watching my back my friend. I will give u a quick history
on it. It,was female driven, the wife of the mayor of a town here in Nova Scotia, and obviously not driven a whole lot. Saw it on kijiji for 500, called told them i have their money im buying it site unseen. I tend to do those silly things, drives the wife nuts( but this is for her so alls good lol). Add stated bad front subfame and wasnt drivable, hence the low price. found a subframe for 200, didnt pick it up yet, no hurry lots to do. HAHA
So to wrap things up, when u consider shop cost( cut off wheels, mig wire and such), I should have a rock solid(Ihope) bull with 54000 miles on the clock, on the road for under a grand. I dont think thats too shabby. Im retired so time is of no issue, as well I have lots of metal laying around so no cost there. It will be a lot of work, but i love doing it, so we will look on it as a 'labor of love' instead of 'work'. Thks for ur interest. cheers
post #30 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Finally, got to work on the bull today. this pic shows before,2005 taurus the rust bucket-use1.jpg. from right to left, rusted inner wall, middle wall, and if u look close u can see the edge where I cut the rocker off. Heres a side pic,u can see the new rocker under the car.2005 taurus the rust bucket-use2.jpg. Heres a pic showing the rust cut from the inner wall and a piece of metal 41 inches long 2 inches wide welded in2005 taurus the rust bucket-use3.jpg. That gives me a solid base for welding middle wall and bottom of rocker to. The final pic shows the inner wheel well. The dark spots are where I welded in patches. the rest is surface rust. I will wire wheel it, use rust converter, then coat it with por15. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	use4.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	84898  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page