2005 taurus the rust bucket - Page 18 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 174 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
My exp with A/C clutch
"Hot wire" the coil with the belt on and it will hold the shaft from turning.
Unscrew the center screw.
The plate should slip off with little effort.
The snap ring for the bearing needs a bit of patience. Need 90 degree snap ring pliers, and a mirror. Good quality snap ring pliers. No junk.
With the snap ring off the pulley/bearing can be pryed off with screw drivers.

Goes back the same way.
Shims give the air gap clearance to the armature/pulley by trial and error.
I gave a young guy working out of his fathers shop 1 hour to do this. My old hands do not do well in tight places.

-chart-

-chart-
When i did it, i just used my small impact on the center bolt and it came
right off. Of course, not everyone has one. When it first was going bad,
i thought i had a bad idler/tensioner wheel. Had one of those grenade
on me once too. but it turned out to be the AC pulley.

I had people tell me i could do it without lowering the front subframe,
but i could just not find the clearance to do it without lowering it
(pump still connected to lines).

If your going to do this yourself, it helps to spray the whole area with
degreaser and wash it down first. You will thank yourself latter.

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 174 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Eastern Canada

Send a message via Skype™ to electroguy75
Being as how I am presented with a problem of a more serious nature, which I will dedicate a separate thread on, now would be a good time to update the members on the rust bucket. My wife has been driving it for 2 1/2 years now, put 20,000 mi on it, and loves it. During that time I bypassed the AC,(clutch was bad) using a smaller belt. Works just fine for me. Replaced the starter, the pita of that job was, had to do it in her workplace parking lot, haha. Replaced the front calipers, pads and rotors, as one of the calipers was seizing. Passed inspection no problem in May. So, all in all, its been pretty reliable transportation.Stay tuned for the new thread, the rust bucket with transmission woes.
post #173 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2001
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

2001 Taurus front frame replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroguy75 View Post
Hey jag, what a game. Quick gets all 3 stars in my book. He made it anybodys game. Sorry your team lost, but not near as sorry had it been my teams loss. Back to the job at hand. Yesterday I finished up with the frame and it's components and gave it overnight to dry. Here are the components,Attachment 88937, and here is the frame,Attachment 88945. This morning I put it all together. Here it sits, ready to be installed.Attachment 88953. I have yet to acquire the heater core bypass assembly and spark plugs, so the frame has to wait until i get that job done. After I finished with the frame, it was time to get on my back and weld some patch work underneath. I will try to get some pics of it tomorrow, but i'm not sure how they will turn out. Hope all is having a good day.
I have an '01 Taurus that needs the front frame replaced due to going into a ditch. How difficult was this part of your project? I know they are different generations, but same basic principle. The car itself is in great condition for it's age and to me is worth it. 76,000 original miles in great shape otherwise. I've never tackled this large of a repair, but not afraid to try. I've located the part locally and plan to pick it up this week.
I will be working in the yard to do it, and plan to construct an overhead support for the engine and transmission. In addition, I will construct another support to completely raise the car off the ground on the back end. Overkill on support, maybe, but safety is a priority. My son and I will be conquering this project.

post #174 of 174 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky13swing View Post
I have an '01 Taurus that needs the front frame replaced due to going into a ditch. How difficult was this part of your project? I know they are different generations, but same basic principle. The car itself is in great condition for it's age and to me is worth it. 76,000 original miles in great shape otherwise. I've never tackled this large of a repair, but not afraid to try. I've located the part locally and plan to pick it up this week.
I will be working in the yard to do it, and plan to construct an overhead support for the engine and transmission. In addition, I will construct another support to completely raise the car off the ground on the back end. Overkill on support, maybe, but safety is a priority. My son and I will be conquering this project.
You get get a engine support bracket from harbor freight or other places reasonable.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...bar-96524.html

then you can drop the subframe out with the engine and trannie still hanging
(dont forget to take the PS rack off!) If you in the bone yard snagging one,
you can then stack tires underneath the hanging engine and get your bracket off.
you will probably need a stubby 18MM to do steering rack fittings. a high FtLB battery
impact will save you when you do this. Dont be surprised to find some bolts on the subframe
mounts that are rusted out. If You get too boned on the donor, move on to the next car.
go to harbor and get the longest 1/2" drive breaker bar they have. You will probably need
that too. You will also find you probably will need new subframe mounts too. check the
donor subframe for the bolts rusted through the subframe (was a recall for that). If its rusted
through the donor is toast.

here is the gotcha. if the damage to the subframe included bending the unibody support,
a replacement subframe will never align and bolt up properly. Not sure what kind of damage you
had. I had to junk my driving but wounded 93 wagon because the strut tower was bent enough
to cause alignment issues. It takes a frame machine to fix that kind of damage if it can be fixed at all.

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page