The White Falcon's 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe (Holly) - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Well, I was going through O'Reilly for a DIN tool when I spotted this:

I'd planned on changing it anyway, and so I grabbed it. (first and last Fram product to go into the car-more on that later).

I figured the old one would be dirty, but....

Eww...

Another pic for a better comparison:

The new filter works...but because it's not as flexible as the Motorcraft part, it was miserable getting it in there. Got all bunched up at one point.

The new one is nicer in that it has a foam ring around the edge, creating a 'seal' of sorts in the holder.

Peeking under the car, saw the oil pan and trans pan were covered in oil and gunk. Most of it looked to be old, but there were a few drops on the oil pan. Not sure if it's a fresh leak or not-the oil level hasn't changed in weeks, and there's no spots where ever I park. The valve cover gaskets were leaking a bit into the plug wells, but tightening them down seemed to have fixed that.

Noticed the drain bolt had a drop coming out. I cleaned the thing and figured I'll check it in a week or so to see if it's dirty/leaking again. It's about time to change the oil anyway.

A/C clutch seems to be going out. Makes a noise when it's not engaged, and if you turn the car off with the A/C on it makes a nasty noise as it locks up.

I'll pay someone to change that. Probably have them swap the whole compressor out, since a new MC one is only 180.

It does look like the ball joints were all replaced at one point. That's good news.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by The White Falcon; 03-16-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Has It Been That Long?

Woodgrain kit arrived today. Installed the shifter surround...I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the shifter installation, or if the console's gotten tweaked at some point, but it won't sit flush. The old one didn't sit perfectly either, but the new one is worse. I'm going to probably have to grind it down slightly, as it puts too much pressure on the shifter base, and won't clamp down on the passenger front. Seems like the top console trim piece might have popped off and slid down on top of the lower piece on the passenger side, but if it was like that before, it won't go back now.

Installed the drivers woodgrain switch. Took an embarassing twenty minutes and lots of gentle beating. I'm hoping the passenger side will be better-but I'll have to be really gentle with it, as it's been reglued before. ICP bezel will be tomorrow as well.
Thuggins2086 likes this.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Ben
I Drive A Fuze

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 1 reviews
My shifter surround doesn't sit completely flush either.

2012 Fusion Sport, 56k miles, White Platinum Tri-coat. Every option except nav. 28% tint, Diode Dynamics LEDs, Steeda CAI, Steeda 93 octane SCT Tune, Steeda 22.5mm RSB, Magnaflow Catback, Enkei Raijin

[SOLD]2004 SEL Premium, 72,700 miles, Vibrant White. 35% Tint, K&N Panel filter, Remote Start, 4x Infinity Reference 6832cf, JVC KW-R800BT, Rockford Fosgate 501bd, Bazooka BT1014

The Toy
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Vert, White, T5, built motor/driveline, race suspension, fast/loud as f*ck

post #14 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Has It Been That Long?

This one's really bad, though. I'm thinking it's just an issue from the factory. The surrounds kinda 'get used to' the console and don't like being swapped. I'll smooth it down a bit (gently, probably by hand rather than with a Dremel, which I don't have anyway!) and see how it works. I'm afraid to epoxy it down, since I know that if I do that, the shifter backlighting will burn out a month later. Such is life...

post #15 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Has It Been That Long?

Oh no, someone stole my stereo! Haha...

Now, that's a nice interior! Not a gray mass anymore, at least.

The ICP bezel plate that is interior colored is for a Charcoal interior...but I think I'm going to leave it, actually. Blends with the upper piece.

This is the only thing I need to fix as far as the woodgrain goes:

Little turd won't sit flush. The old one was similar, but this is worse. It's putting a lot of pressure on the shifter assembly itself when you press it into place and hold it, so I'll sand it down and see if I can make that clip stay in place.

Also detailed the inside (didn't vacuum yet) and spent ten minutes scrubbing ten years of gunk off the steering wheel. You don't realize how dirty it is until you start cleaning...

Of course, the cleaning was made more interesting when I spent a minute figuring out why a new bottle of ArmorAll wasn't spraying...turned out the straw had fallen into the bottle. Oh well...

post #16 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Has It Been That Long?

Found service records. Tranny serviced properly at intervals. Oil mostly done by Ford dealers. Car was just a hair under $24,000 new.

As suspected, oil pan gasket has a leak. Last service record says both it and the rear main seal are leaking. I'm suspicious of this. It does confirm that the valve cover gaskets were done, as I'd seen evidence of work. That also tells me that the dealership was the one who couldn't bolt the intake manifold back on right, and seemingly failed to change the PCV valve at the required interval. And it was really obvious it needed to be changed...

I think my suspicion is a bit warranted, thinking on that...

Also found out that the passenger side mirror was replaced after the first owner broke it off. They (same dealer as above) charged him $400 to do that.

Latest (and possibly last!) box of goodies is in Phoenix right now. That means I'll have more toys tomorrow.

Last edited by The White Falcon; 03-22-2013 at 12:54 AM.
post #17 of 210 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Has It Been That Long?

Received box of goodies today.

Discovered that Gen 3 floor mats are about 10/15% smaller than the Gen 4 mats. Still fit, but it's not the floorwell filling of the Sport mats.

Carpet on Gen 4 mats is also 'plusher'.

I had thought about selling the Sport mats, but after shampooing them, and after thinking about it, I may just keep them. Not a bad idea to have two sets.

I'm working on the mudflaps right now. I'm not sure how the repaint of the Taurus logo will go, but figured I'd try. Painting the letters with Performance White. If it looks terrible, there's always black paint to cover it back up. Besides, they're mud flaps.

Also not sure what I'm going to do with the TAURUS old-style badges, but I figured they were nice. It actually doesn't look terrible on the decklid, but given that there's not a flat mounting surface, it's a non-starter.

post #18 of 210 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Has It Been That Long?

Ten years and they're practically NOS grade!

post #19 of 210 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Sam
breeves002

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Those don't look bad! Darker than I would have done, but for sure not bad.

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
post #20 of 210 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Has It Been That Long?

No, they're about as dark as I would go, actually. When I got them I thought "Are these dark enough?"

They're dark enough to stand out, but not so dark they look bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page