Welcome Discount Tire! - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
They treated me right

Replaced the Continentals on my 06 Taurus with Kuhmo Solus KR21 from Discount Tire. On sale at $86 apiece, and that included lifetime rotations and re-balancing, plus free road hazard replacement, which I've already used once. Daughter picked up a nail and didn't realize it until she'd driven the tire flat and ruined it. DT replaced it anyway, even tho they probably didn't have to.

1 1/2 years later, when I needed to replace the tires on my other 06 Taurus, they gave me the same sale price again, even tho they weren't on sale.

p.s. The new KR21s are way better than the crappy continentals that were originally on the car.

I'm a Discount Tire fan. Thanks for supporting this forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 PM

Trader Score: 1 reviews
yeah the conti on every taurus i have had got lumpy
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
fct
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

Don't be so quick to tear them apart. Discount Tire prices are usually higher than cheap online-only warehouses, but

1. You don't pay for shipping with DT (this saves $50-60 per set)
2. Right now, if you buy from them a whole set you get $40 mail-in rebate or $50 if you buy using their CC card.
3. Lifetime rotations..
4. Only $13 per tire to install and balance.

And well, the tire and rims I am looking at right now, are indeed cheaper at DT compared to other places. I was looking for Continental ExtremeContact DWS (225-50-17). Yeah, DT has them for $150 while you can find it for just under $130 online. Once you factor the shipping, coupons, and other things, the price is effectively the same and much lower than Sears. And some rims are cheaper hands down, even when compared to others before the cost of shipping.

Last edited by fct; 02-14-2011 at 07:35 PM.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Chapter: Southeast

Thumbs down

I used Discount Tire once. That will be the last time. Got tires at the Cary, NC location while I was unemployed and the inexperienced teenage installer destroyed my "Wheel Skins" chrome covers on my wheels. They did replace them at no charge, but whatever, they are not hard to remove. And the "club tires" Pirelli Centaro 215/60/16 tires I got there for $98 each roar like heck 10,000 miles in. IF THEY LAST THE 70,000 miles as claimed I don't know if I will be able to take the noise. I have road force balanced all, changed pressures, etc. nothing helps it.

I also had a friend who tried employment there.
He is an experienced technician with ASE certification. The manager offered him MAXIMUM pay of $7.75 per hour... WTF?! That's right, 50 cents over minimum wage, no commission, whatever. That's BS. Paying employees like that makes them no better than Jiffy Lube. Also if you car needs ANYTHING other than tires or balancing, flat repair, etc... forget it. And as an auto technician I cannot stress enough the importance of having your wheel alignment checked when installing new tires. If it is out, you don't want to destroy your new tires.

As an auto technician with a family to support I cannot stand shops that underpay employees. That forces people like myself with experience out. Then you have a teenager with zero training working on your car. But its YOUR car...

As for pricing, most NAME BRAND tires are the same or more than competitors. They do carry off brand and "club" tires that are cheaper. (a club tire is like my Pirelli Centaro, or Walmart's Michelin X radial LT. Exclusives to certain chain stores)

(This is a "Wheel Skin" for those who don't know

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Taurus SE 3.0L Vulcan
2007 Ford Fusion SE 2.3L Duratec

See them both on my CarDomain page:
idea of a "crossover vehicle" is an El Camino or Ranchero.

Last edited by JoeCool6972; 03-19-2011 at 03:24 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 PM

Chapter: West Coast

I've dealt with Discount Tire since '85. Take your quote to them and they will beat it and you will never beat their after sale service.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauruskev View Post
Tire Rack seems cheaper... Ain't much of a discount there.
Example:
Continental ContiProContact - $86 a piece at Tire Rack
"Discount" Tire - $95.00

(Discount is in quotes because that is hardly a discount there)
Wow, what a tool response. The Admin posts a thread and welcomes an advertising SPONSOR to the site and you lead with this? Keep it to yourself. Sears is garbage, worked for them for years. Craftsman is great but even that stuff is being made in China now. Their tire center has the absolute worst prices in town. Discount does a great job of offering a great service.

Does your tire rack price above include freight? Doubtful.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Chapter: Midwest

I bought two sets of wheels and a set of tires from Discount last year and was happy with the price and speedy shipping.

2012 SHO Livernois Dynotune

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 PM

Chapter: Northern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but will discount tire give us a discount for being on this site? I understand that they help fund this site(and I'm very appreciative of that), but it's that time again to get tires and living on a college budget, money is a little tight.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Chapter: West Coast

Pep boys! We usually price match
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page