How Far Can You Go? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone know how far you can safely go when the fuel guage registers zero and the filling station light comes on?

The reason I ask is that when I'm driving and I have less than a quarter tank, the fuel gauge starts to fluctuate and sometimes tells me I'm empty. Then if I stop the needle moves up and tells me I have fuel. All this makes me panic, so I'd just like to know how far I can actually go in the event of the filling light actually coming on.

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:36 AM

I know I have gotten up to 40 miles on E before, but I don't like to push it. If you let it go to low and drive in hills you could be in some trouble because of the side of the tank the gas comes out of. I usually make sure to fill mine by a quarter or 1/8 tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sabledale@Feb 1 2005, 03:36 AM
I know I have gotten up to 40 miles on E before, but I don't like to push it. If you let it go to low and drive in hills you could be in some trouble because of the side of the tank the gas comes out of. I usually make sure to fill mine by a quarter or 1/8 tank.
Thanks for that. I usually start panicking even before the empty light comes on because of the way the needle fluctuates up and down, below the 1/4 mark.

In future I'll offset my panic attacks until the empty light does actually appear.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by taurusdxb@Feb 1 2005, 04:46 AM
In future I'll offset my panic attacks until the empty light does actually appear.
this may not be a good idea depending on the cars age. My light is burnt out so it doesn't appear.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 06:12 AM

Chapter: Midwest

I tend to avoid letting my gauge go below 1/4. Most fuel pumps use the fuel as a sort of coolant. Running it too low could cause it to over heat and eventually fail.

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow; Repeat if Necessary
1997 Jeep Cherokee
1975 Jeep CJ5 (resto project)
2001 Sable LS (rustbucket)
1998 Jeep Wrangler
2006 Jeep Liberty
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 06:29 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

especially in the winter time - you don't want your tank to go below a half.

The fuel guage fluxuates because the fuel is sloshing around and it can sense that. I wouldn't push an empty tank - you're sucking up that nasty stuff at the bottom and clogging your fuel filter even more.

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Devoted Member

I don't trust my gauge below 1/4. Do to gm's trippy fuel sending unit.

William's Rides
EveryDay: 2001 Olds Alero GL (5-Speed) 2.4 150hp 155lb. tq
Hauler: 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon 3oh7 5.0 140Hp 255Tq
Quote:
When you down shrooms, even fluorescent lights are mindblowing.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Devoted Member

Send a message via MSN to carraudio
When I am on a road trip I never go below 1/4. I ran out of gas in one of my Contours one time, I made it 421 miles. I cost me over an hour of my driving time to get some gas.

<div align="center">Chris Carr

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Anonymous)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
"Be good. If you cant be good, be careful. If you cant be careful, name it after me. Anonymous"
</td></tr></table><div class='signature'>
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:45 AM

Mine says 0 when I have 3.5 gallons left. I've gone 55 miles of in-town driving before until it died when I pulled into the gas station.

Purdue University Civil Engineering[/i]
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 09:07 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Robert L
Quote:
Originally posted by dagr8tim@Feb 1 2005, 06:12 AM
I tend to avoid letting my gauge go below 1/4. Most fuel pumps use the fuel as a sort of coolant. Running it too low could cause it to over heat and eventually fail.
BINGO!!! The fuel DOES indeed keep the pump cool, letting the fuel tank go below 1/4 is foolish and problematic at best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page