LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2004
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb Class Action Against Ford Flex

I saw today on the news that there will be a class action lawsuit against Ford for how they designed the engine for the Ford Flex and Edge. The "geniuses" who designed this engine decided to put the water pump - inside - the engine. Now when you have to replace the water pump it cost up to $5000 to tear the engine apart and then rebuild it again. Nice going ford. A part that you know will repeatedly wear out, is now virtually impossible for the average guy to replace.

Instead of the coolant leaking out, now in the Ford Flex and Ford Edge the coolant mixes with the engines oil, causing further engine damage.

Here is a youtube video (actually two videos because it takes so long to replace the water pump) showing the procedure on what is involved to replace the water pump.

Here is more information about the lawsuit;

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/...-on-some-fords
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005

Same engine as the Taurus. Pump was put inside to keep the engine "shorter" so it would fit. The F150 with the same engine has the pump mounted externally since the engine bay is larger and the engine is mounted longitudinally.

2 failure modes: 1) Most common failure mode: coolant leaks out a weep hole by the alternator giving you a warning that the pump has failed. 2) Less common: Coolant leaks internally into the crankcase causing engine failure. Coolant in oil kills main and rod bearings.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Pumps don't necessarily wear out. Most people here with '01+ Duratec 30's haven't had to replace the pump, because moving it off the belt drive helped cut down on bearing wear.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Model: Mercury Sable

There was a class action lawsuit filed about a year ago from some law firm in MI. My daughter has a '10 Edge and I'm keeping a close watch on it...but, I'm not getting my hopes up for any kind of settlement. Automakers and their lawyers are very adept at dodging these kind of claims.

Last edited by MERCrunner; Yesterday at 12:13 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
Pumps don't necessarily wear out. Most people here with '01+ Duratec 30's haven't had to replace the pump, because moving it off the belt drive helped cut down on bearing wear.
PIC of what GM did for clean sheet design, 3.9L. I can change the belt in 10 min easy, Alt in 15min easy. Note water pump, not like other pushrod engines, offset and on easy access as well as the stat which is in the water pump outlet. Has ~6" clear from the pulleys to fender and same in front. Oil Filter straight down and shielded by the oil pan. Larger car but larger engine with lots of access. VVT design pushrod iron block makes 230hp in 3.9L. Wide torque band, revs high. Not a fan much of GM but about the only thing I can get with column shift.

I would never buy any car with the water pump inside the engine. Nothing wrong with the DOHC Bulls of mine. Never any issues with 4 of them. Nothing wrong with the belt off the cam shaft.

My Lin Cont 4.6 had the conventional water pump front center of the engine and close to zero clearance to the fender. 2 hours to change the belt. That is if you have the trick ideas for a one person belt change. I can't imagine changing the wp.
-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buick3.9.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	209487  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003

Trader Score: 56 reviews
The same engine is in the 07-12 MKZ and 10-12 Fusion Sport models.

4 Taur Family:
98 Comfort DOHC
00 SE
03 SEL Premium DOHC
04 SES Sport DOHC

2003 SEL Premium
Every available factory option
September 2009 Car of the Month

Dealing in Mach Audio Systems for over 10 years with perfect feedback. I'm happy to answer any/all questions.
I have many very satisfied club members!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
I would never buy any car with the water pump inside the engine.
I agree 110%! I think it's an idiotic design and I hope all these people win this lawsuit. If nothing else at least people are now aware that these terrible engines are around and they can steer clear of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in