36r3 vs. 58r3 everstart battery for a 2000 taurus? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By sousa632
  • 2 Post By jag1959
  • 1 Post By gamefanatic

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
36r3 vs. 58r3 everstart battery for a 2000 taurus?

I bought a 36r3 everstart battery from walmart. 1 month later, my car didn't start after 3 days of rest. Alternator and starterare both fine. Jumpstarted the car ok, and 2 weeks later, same deal. I just replaced the battery with a 58r3 which has fewer CA and CCA. Anybody else have trouble so soon with this brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:04 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Everstart is a bottom bargain brand. Like with anything electronics there's always the possibility of failure.

That being said, did you see what the voltage was on the battery when it was not starting? Have you done a draw test to make sure you don't have a parasitic draw on the battery? What was the original reason for replacing the battery from the start? There's a lot of missing info here. Additionally, please update your profile to show what car and engine you have.
sheila and kekaye56 like this.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:45 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Batteries have become a real crap shoot
sheila and kekaye56 like this.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

It was at 2 volts when dead. I didn't consider a parasitic draw but that would make sense. I changed thr 3 year old battery because the car wouldn't start. I have a 2000 taurus ohv.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:55 AM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2017
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

I just replaced a Motorcraft battery on my 17 Taurus. I hope it lasts longer than the last one I purchased. Even brand name batteries are a crap shoot.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:15 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmalk View Post
It was at 2 volts when dead. I didn't consider a parasitic draw but that would make sense. I changed thr 3 year old battery because the car wouldn't start. I have a 2000 taurus ohv.
Bats loose their capacity to survive drain as in driving when the Alt quits. Been there, made ~45 mins to the first exit with a motel. Call AAA and $530 later back on the road day later and +$100 in motel.

See pic, my test of drain power using a resistor to drain the top charge off vs time. I charge the bat with my auto charger then start the drain and write down the volts by the stop watch. In this case, Lin Cont bat which is larger, same bat new, and at two more times to when I would replace based on time alone. Results about the same for Bull batteries. New bat give very similar results. I have not had a warranty on battery claim in ~40 years.
Extreme temperatures, overcharging, undercharging, and vibration are a killer.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatLifeLinS.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	209281  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:35 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmalk View Post
I bought a 36r3 everstart battery from walmart. 1 month later, my car didn't start after 3 days of rest. Alternator and starterare both fine. Jumpstarted the car ok, and 2 weeks later, same deal. I just replaced the battery with a 58r3 which has fewer CA and CCA. Anybody else have trouble so soon with this brand?

well at one month you still have warranty: whu did you not use it at Walmart?

sounds like failing alternator or parasitic drain

b

Bob Urz 1989 Vulcan wagon (wife crashed) 1990 Vulcan sedan (sold running) 1993 Vulcan sedan (wife crashed) 1993 Vulcan wagon (beat up like Battlestar Galactica, drove to junkyard on a sad day) 1997 Vulcan sedan (down with multiple coolant leaks), 1998 Vulcan sedan (rescued from being junked three time with broken brake lines and bad rack, hydrolocked engine replaced ) down for now
Note: wives and daughters are dangerous to your Taurus health!

If Spock drove a Taurus it would be a Vulcan
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:25 PM

I agree, one month is a free battery replacement. Next you need to find the source of your problem. If you've had the alternator tested, the next is to measure your drain on the battery when its off. You will need to have a voltmeter that can also measure Amps. Disconnect one of. The battery terminals (typically positive) and connect your leads to the cable to the car and to the battery.
Make sure your doors are closed. Sometimes you need to arm the PATs, then wait for about 3-10 min. The system should go to sleep. You want less than 0.5A draw. If its more you will need to track down the failing part. On Gen3's it was typically the radio.
kekaye56 likes this.

Saved by the Cross! Bled by a Taurus...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan I - '97 Silver Taurus GL
Vulcan II - '97 Forest Green Taurus GL
Vulcan III - '02 Tan Sable LS
SHO-HIS-Love - '96 Medium Willow SHO
SHO-Foo - '96 Medium Willow SHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page