Leaking battery - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Automender12345

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Leaking battery

I took out my old battery and put it on the rear interior carpet. It has been a few weeks and now the carpet it soaked. It's not clear from where the battery leaked. Any thoughts on what exactly lleaed, is it dangerous, and how I shouldclean it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 03:53 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Liberally cover the spill with baking soda and let it sit for a couple of hours. If it's damp when you clean it up do it again. If it has soaked through the carpet, it has already started eating at the floor and you will have to pull up the rug and treat the floor.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:22 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

If it is truly acid that leaked out then it is extremely dangerous. Depending on you experience on dealing with acid you should wear goggles to protect your eye and heavy rubber gloves. Make sure doors are open because a lot of CO2 is generated as you add baking soda. Neutralize acid with baking soda rinse and add more baking soda. Be careful puliing carpet AFTER you neutralized the acid because it will ruin anything it touches if if it has any acid left. Can't remember if the rear foot area has a rubber drain plug to remove and hose out the floor.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:11 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Carpet and possibly floor pan probably shot. Battery acid is some nasty stuff.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

The strange thing is that the carpet it totally soaked but it still looks very clean, as if it's just water. I also don't smell any fumes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:10 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmalk View Post
The strange thing is that the carpet it totally soaked but it still looks very clean, as if it's just water. I also don't smell any fumes.

Sprinkle some baking soda on the wet spot and if it fizzes then it's acid if not it maybe water from rusted out floor pan. The battery being heavy would cause the water to push into carpet.
sheila likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:30 PM

Chapter: Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmalk View Post
I think you are on to something and that is no smell of fumes. I am surprised you do nt have a moldy or musty smell with water. Have you smelled the carpet from a close distance. You need to remove and see what is underneath and where the water ingress is coming from or you will not have a floor-board at some point. Could have a leak from the door that when it rains or you wash the car that settles at the bottom of the floorboard as well. Could be a problem with the water shield in the door.
Tom in Plano.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page