LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1995
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Parking Brake Pedal

Every so often when I'm driving, it seems like my back brakes are dragging. I talked to my friend who gave me the car, asking him about possibly a sticking caliper, and he said that everything back there is new. New pads, new calipers, and I'm guessing new discs, too.

That got me thinking, and looking around up under the dash. Just a note before I forget, until today, I haven't been able to push the parking brake pedal down. Today, on a whim, I decided to try it (with the engine running), and it went down. It *does* release when I pull the release handle, but it catches on the first stop, and I have to lift it the rest of the way. My guess is stretched cable (which we'll look at). But, with the brake fully released, it seems like the pedal is sitting low.

I know JeffK has a '95. Jeff, if your parking brake cable is tight, can you grab me a picture of the pedal in the fully released position, so that I have something to compare to?

By the way, just in case it matters, mine's a GL, but it has rear discs, and ABS.

Thanks!

What will people think if they know that I'm a Jesus freak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

There is a spring concentric with the exposed part of the cable under the car around the back end of the front door. This spring is what is supposed to pull the pedal up to the "park brake off" position. The concentric spring on my 95 rotted away a number of years ago. I went to the hardware store and got a reasonably stiff spring maybe 6 inches long. I clamped the spring to the forward end of the exposed cable under the front door with a small hose clamp and JB Weld, stretched out the spring, and secured the other end of the stretched out spring to the floor pan with a decent sized sheet metal screw. Been working great for several years, but my spring is starting to rust up and I will likely have to replace it within the next few years. I could have bought a new cable (never checked to see if they are even available) but I am a cheap SOB. The repair took me half an hour and cost me around $1.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Year: 02

Garage
Sounds like your park brake cables are rusted up. Very common in the north. Replace, don't lubricate.
snosaint likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
There is a spring concentric with the exposed part of the cable under the car around the back end of the front door. This spring is what is supposed to pull the pedal up to the "park brake off" position. The concentric spring on my 95 rotted away a number of years ago. I went to the hardware store and got a reasonably stiff spring maybe 6 inches long. I clamped the spring to the forward end of the exposed cable under the front door with a small hose clamp and JB Weld, stretched out the spring, and secured the other end of the stretched out spring to the floor pan with a decent sized sheet metal screw. Been working great for several years, but my spring is starting to rust up and I will likely have to replace it within the next few years. I could have bought a new cable (never checked to see if they are even available) but I am a cheap SOB. The repair took me half an hour and cost me around $1.
Thanks, Jeff. I think I found it. There's an adjustment nut, too, that seems to be around the front edge of the front door. I grabbed a couple of pictures, I'll post them once they download to my computer from the cloud.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteve56 View Post
Sounds like your park brake cables are rusted up. Very common in the north. Replace, don't lubricate.
They sure do look rusty, yes. But, they seem to move a more freely, now, so I'll leave it be for now. Besides, I think the problem is that the cable is stretched, anyway.

With the brake released 1) There seems to be a lot of play in the pedal 2) the cable dangles such that it's actually visible. I'm guessing it *should* be tucked up behind the rocker panel, but it hangs a little below.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TaurusinSK View Post
They sure do look rusty, yes. But, they seem to move a more freely, now, so I'll leave it be for now. Besides, I think the problem is that the cable is stretched, anyway.

With the brake released 1) There seems to be a lot of play in the pedal 2) the cable dangles such that it's actually visible. I'm guessing it *should* be tucked up behind the rocker panel, but it hangs a little below.
Look around most hang down and that is normal. Best start cold and drive around the block so to speak. Then check for temperature in rotors. Should be only mildly warm. Hot and you are killing your mpg.

-chart-
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998

Trader Score: 1 reviews
...and brakes, lol.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:53 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
...and brakes, lol.
Lots of issues from not using the PB on a regular basis. Cables stick and fail to release. Well worth note: adjusting is done by the use of the parking Bk.

I have used the add on tension extension spring added under to help the cable release the calipers. The spring right under the driver's feed rusts and breaks. Add on spring will fix this.

-chart-
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Year: 02

Garage
Rear cables are sticking, causing front cable to go slack because rear cables aren't returning. Either replace the cables or replace rear pads and rotors very often($$$$$)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:46 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

1995 GL

My 1995 GL was a fleet Car for the company I had worked for. Early 1995 It as well had 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS. As it was upfitted before delivery to use a flip phone with internal speaker, microphone and external antenna. To do this It has bucket seats, console phone mount in place of floor A/T shifter.

Mom in the years she had it she screwed up the parking brake release. Handle shaft is bent. Unable to use parking brake.

Also has a AX4N transmission.

2002 has Disc/drum and AX4S transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page