LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2004
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Tire wear question

>>Has anyone else had to replace tires due to excessive wear from the front wheels? I've had to replace all of the tires listed below early due to excessive wear on the outer edges acquired when mounted on the front wheels. I had a shop tell me some years ago that this engine/suspension design puts excessive strain on the front suspension/steering, leading to excessive wear on the tires. I had the front struts replaced a year ago, with a FEA. Would like to hear any thoughts.

When I acquired my 2004 SES third-hand in 2009, it had new General Altimax tires. They lasted only two years/30K miles, and I replaced them with Hankook Optimos. Those lasted 3 years/40K and were replaced in 2014 with Continental ProContact EcoPlus. I replaced those in 2018 with Douglas All-Seasons from Walmart, after reading that for their $55 price - half the Continentals' - they ran about as well as any other tire.

I have no complaints about the Douglases - they're quiet, give good traction/handling, and are fine in the rain. I'm pretty amazed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:35 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevah99 View Post
>>Has anyone else had to replace tires due to excessive wear from the front wheels? I've had to replace all of the tires listed below early due to excessive wear on the outer edges acquired when mounted on the front wheels. I had a shop tell me some years ago that this engine/suspension design puts excessive strain on the front suspension/steering, leading to excessive wear on the tires. I had the front struts replaced a year ago, with a FEA. Would like to hear any thoughts.

When I acquired my 2004 SES third-hand in 2009, it had new General Altimax tires. They lasted only two years/30K miles, and I replaced them with Hankook Optimos. Those lasted 3 years/40K and were replaced in 2014 with Continental ProContact EcoPlus. I replaced those in 2018 with Douglas All-Seasons from Walmart, after reading that for their $55 price - half the Continentals' - they ran about as well as any other tire.

I have no complaints about the Douglases - they're quiet, give good traction/handling, and are fine in the rain. I'm pretty amazed.

I am on Bulls #7, 8, & 9. All '03 DOHC. Never had any outside wear, always inside wear. My 2 Sables all tires/wheels from the JY as in the pic, $30 per. When looking at the JY have to watch for inside wear, common on worn out front suspension.
Outside wear would be caused by excess toe in. Brand of tire not the issue.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JYtires18.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	209001  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Have you had the car aligned and have the strut tower mounting plates had their spot welds drill out for camber adjustment. How often have you rotated your tires. I drill them out before an alignment and mark location of plate to see if they move them. They charge $25 to $50 to drill them out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f1406403.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	209005  
kekaye56 likes this.

Last edited by Automender12345; 06-29-2019 at 03:54 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 06:56 AM

Year: 2017
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Wow, thanks I did not know that (about the tower plates). They changed some time after that, my 17 does not have a plate, its all solid frame. I just hope doing 5k tire rotations keeps the wear correct.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2004

I've had FEA after latest two tire changes, and rotate the tires every 5-10K; am not savvy enough to know about the spot-weld drilling but thank you! I'll go back over the service papers to see if there were any unusual comments or notes I made in previous years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
Have you had the car aligned and have the strut tower mounting plates had their spot welds drill out for camber adjustment. How often have you rotated your tires. I drill them out before an alignment and mark location of plate to see if they move them. They charge $25 to $50 to drill them out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Some alignment shops say you can't adjust camber but Ford manual suggests drilling the spot welds out. Look at your alignment papers and see if camber is out of spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in