• 1 Post By Automender12345
  • 1 Post By chartmaker
  • 2 Post By ice445

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Clunk going over bumps

Every time I go over a bump, I hear a clunk in my front end, that sounds like it's coming from the left side. I haven't lifted the car up, but on the ground, the suspension seems tight (there doesn't seem to be any movement in the wheel when I grab it and try to shake it), and pushing down on that corner produces little to no bounce or movement period.

So my first guess, if my suspension is, indeed, tight, is probably something in the subframe (maybe a bushing?). The question is this: Will it eventually let go and cause a catastrophe? Or can I drive it like this for the foreseeable future? In other words, is it a danger, or an annoyance?

Thanks!

What will people think if they know that I'm a Jesus freak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:21 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Maybe bad swaybar links. Front end clunks are hard to find and some are hidden inside the strut itself.
sheila likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91sableinsk View Post
Every time I go over a bump, I hear a clunk in my front end, that sounds like it's coming from the left side. I haven't lifted the car up, but on the ground, the suspension seems tight (there doesn't seem to be any movement in the wheel when I grab it and try to shake it), and pushing down on that corner produces little to no bounce or movement period.

So my first guess, if my suspension is, indeed, tight, is probably something in the subframe (maybe a bushing?). The question is this: Will it eventually let go and cause a catastrophe? Or can I drive it like this for the foreseeable future? In other words, is it a danger, or an annoyance?

Thanks!
Sway bar links are the first to go. By 100K highly likely they are on the way out. Not very costly, can be changed in the drive way but need to jack up both sides to check or change.

-chart-
sheila likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:54 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998

Trader Score: 1 reviews
...or strut mount bearing up top.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:06 PM

Knock on bumps

Bull had this too. They checked and had to remove these posts atop some suspension stuff that had rusted r seized up. They had to saw them thru n replace them. Iím in the south n they asked right away has this car been up north n I had tried t move t pecksburgh overmatching the winter n then moved back.
Iím saving t replace the Other ball joint, now, n t replace a trunk gasket n eval n the tranny. Willow creek transmissions came recommended but I reached out online n got no response. Maybe none because I fessed up that I didnít have an expert eval the tranny.
Long live the Taurus! Did I see an ad for the 2018? Is ford keeping the Taurus after all?!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:46 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
End links, strut mounts, control arm bushings, ball joints, and subframe bushings. All need to be checked.
sheila and tido1962 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page