Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/)
-   Taurus and Sable General Discussion (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124-taurus-sable-general-discussion/)
-   -   Clunk going over bumps (https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/124-taurus-sable-general-discussion/349595-clunk-going-over-bumps.html)

95TaurusinSK 03-24-2019 11:18 PM

Clunk going over bumps

Every time I go over a bump, I hear a clunk in my front end, that sounds like it's coming from the left side. I haven't lifted the car up, but on the ground, the suspension seems tight (there doesn't seem to be any movement in the wheel when I grab it and try to shake it), and pushing down on that corner produces little to no bounce or movement period.

So my first guess, if my suspension is, indeed, tight, is probably something in the subframe (maybe a bushing?). The question is this: Will it eventually let go and cause a catastrophe? Or can I drive it like this for the foreseeable future? In other words, is it a danger, or an annoyance?

Thanks!

Automender12345 03-25-2019 03:21 AM

Maybe bad swaybar links. Front end clunks are hard to find and some are hidden inside the strut itself.

chartmaker 03-25-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91sableinsk (Post 3457029)
Every time I go over a bump, I hear a clunk in my front end, that sounds like it's coming from the left side. I haven't lifted the car up, but on the ground, the suspension seems tight (there doesn't seem to be any movement in the wheel when I grab it and try to shake it), and pushing down on that corner produces little to no bounce or movement period.

So my first guess, if my suspension is, indeed, tight, is probably something in the subframe (maybe a bushing?). The question is this: Will it eventually let go and cause a catastrophe? Or can I drive it like this for the foreseeable future? In other words, is it a danger, or an annoyance?

Thanks!

Sway bar links are the first to go. By 100K highly likely they are on the way out. Not very costly, can be changed in the drive way but need to jack up both sides to check or change.

-chart-

sheila 03-25-2019 11:54 AM

...or strut mount bearing up top.

Metrocaat 03-28-2019 01:06 PM

Knock on bumps

Bull had this too. They checked and had to remove these posts atop some suspension stuff that had rusted r seized up. They had to saw them thru n replace them. Iím in the south n they asked right away has this car been up north n I had tried t move t pecksburgh overmatching the winter n then moved back.
Iím saving t replace the Other ball joint, now, n t replace a trunk gasket n eval n the tranny. Willow creek transmissions came recommended but I reached out online n got no response. Maybe none because I fessed up that I didnít have an expert eval the tranny.
Long live the Taurus! Did I see an ad for the 2018? Is ford keeping the Taurus after all?!

ice445 03-28-2019 04:46 PM

End links, strut mounts, control arm bushings, ball joints, and subframe bushings. All need to be checked.