Ford once again says goodbye to the Taurus - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 3 reviews
Ford once again says goodbye to the Taurus

Quote:
CHICAGO, March 1, 2019 – The last Ford Taurus sedan rolled off the line at Chicago Assembly Plant today, marking the end of U.S. production of the historic and pioneering nameplate.

More than 8 million Taurus passenger cars were built at Ford’s Chicago Assembly Plant over 34 years of near continuous production.

“Taurus broke new ground at its start and we’re thankful for its role in our portfolio,” said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president, U.S. marketing, sales and service. “Those same kinds of innovations will continue for today’s customers with Ford Explorer and the rest of our lineup.”

When introduced at the 1985 Los Angeles Auto Show, Taurus represented the latest in Ford engineering and design, developed to meet shifting consumer needs. Its sleek looks were a departure from the boxy sedan shapes of the time, setting a new bar in passenger cars. Its 140-horsepower 3.0-liter V6 engine featured multi-port fuel injection.

Taurus continued to evolve with the addition of the SHO model in 1989, which came equipped with a 220-horsepower high-performance V6.

By 1992, Taurus had become America’s best-selling car.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...vge2qVS-C-mNoc

2015 Chevrolet Impala 43,000 miles
2013 Ford Taurus SEL 73,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:05 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Yep, gone for another 5-10 years before it gets revived as some grotesque crossover, lol. My Chicago built car is still rolling, so that's my tribute lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Presuming that is the car... either it went to a country requiring DRLs, or it went to a fleet.

Oh, please, don't tell me it went to a fleet...

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Threw together the numbers:

1986-2007 Taurus production figures: 7,519,919
1986-2005 Sable production figures: 2,112,374

2008-2018 Taurus production figures: 617,871 (includes PI Sedan)
2008-2009 Sable production figures: 22,480

Total production run 1986-2018: 10,272,644

The final number won't be clear for a while now, as there are still Tauruses sitting on lots. But they did manage to break the ten million mark, and the eight million figure for the Taurus itself.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:00 PM

Ford CEOs crazy?

With the death of the American CAR on the horizon, will the only old school American named sedan on the road be the FCA Canadian made Chrysler 300? With GM killing the Impala and the very sad 2nd death of the Taurus - it seems someone is not aware of the meaning of being the last legitimate American sedan. What if Harley Davidson had thrown in the towel? BIG mistake here Ford. Some of us would rather lose a body part than drive a Toyota / Honda / Nissan / VW kinda like the Harley guys ... Hello Bill Ford ?
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:05 PM

I am glad 4 of those 10 million cars have graced my garages over the years. Too bad there won't be another (until the next CEO with any sense).
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:23 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Year: 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Ford Guy View Post
With the death of the American CAR on the horizon, will the only old school American named sedan on the road be the FCA Canadian made Chrysler 300? With GM killing the Impala and the very sad 2nd death of the Taurus - it seems someone is not aware of the meaning of being the last legitimate American sedan. What if Harley Davidson had thrown in the towel? BIG mistake here Ford. Some of us would rather lose a body part than drive a Toyota / Honda / Nissan / VW kinda like the Harley guys ... Hello Bill Ford ?
Fiat sold 46,000 300's last year. Big whoop. Sales are barely 1/3rd of what they were at the model's peak.

Good feelings and "making cars just because" don't pay the bills. Sucks, but those are the breaks.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 11:39 PM

No doubt economics at play, but the last legitimate American sedan will sell simply because of that fact alone. Some of us care immensely about that factor. A 300 is on my horizon I guess. Good looking car, more American than a Fusion. Like my Taurus more of course, but if it doesn't exist in the future ... Fiat Chrysler wins by default. CUVs suck. 3 cylinder turbos are destined for early failures. SUVs & trucks are so not me. Build a new Crown Vic or Taurus on an F150 platform and they got me.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:11 AM

Year: 2013

Garage
This is why I probably won't ever get rid of my Taurus in my lifetime. I plan to always have it with me, whether that's in stock form or a 5.2 Voodoo swapped drag missile, I'm keeping it.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:50 AM
Devoted Member

Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Ford Guy View Post
No doubt economics at play, but the last legitimate American sedan will sell simply because of that fact alone. Some of us care immensely about that factor. A 300 is on my horizon I guess. Good looking car, more American than a Fusion. Like my Taurus more of course, but if it doesn't exist in the future ... Fiat Chrysler wins by default. CUVs suck. 3 cylinder turbos are destined for early failures. SUVs & trucks are so not me. Build a new Crown Vic or Taurus on an F150 platform and they got me.
You're not the market as a whole, sorry to say. Sedans are going away for a good reason.

Ironically, if you want the last legitimate, all-American sedan, you should buy a Tesla. Because that's exactly what they are.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in