Ford once again says goodbye to the Taurus - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
I drive a sedan right now because it was what I could get my hands on when my truck died. Given the choice, my first choice would have been an SUV, second choice a minivan. Why? Sedans today have good sized trunks (even the 1995 Taurus had a big trunk), but even though by the next generation of Taurus they had lowered the trunk opening to the bumper, the opening was still the same size (or smaller) as the '95, with the opening only going down to the top of the license plate. The bottom line is that while a large box will fit in the trunk, you can't get it in there.

My last vehicle (before the truck) was a 2010 Honda Fit hatchback. The beauty of it was that if it would fit in the cargo area, it could be gotten into the cargo area.

Sadly, the steeply raked rear window (done for fuel economy) is really what killed the American sedan (in my opinion).

The other side of the coin for me is that I live in a rural area, although I'm actually within the limits of a town. Streets here can get pretty snowed in. So, I need a few things in my next vehicle. 1) Higher ground clearance so that I'm not dragging my bottom in the snow 2) Good fuel economy (nearest city is 90 miles away, but I can actually get most of what I need here in town) 3) Comfortable Driver's seat (not just in the cushions, but in seating position - I like to sit higher up, more like a chair) 4) 4x4 would be my first choice, but AWD would do if I had to. 5) Cargo capacity. 6) Covered cargo area.

So what class of vehicle does that leave me? A small truck will get respectable fuel economy, sits high up, offers me the seating position that I want, has cargo capacity (can wear a topper to cover it), and offers 4x4. SUVS and crossovers offer everything I'm looking for, except that most of them now are AWD. Minivans offer me the seating position, fuel economy, ground clearance and cargo capacity that I want, but don't usually offer 4x4 or AWD. A CUV offers me everything, and will handle like a car. A sedan offers me the fuel economy, but that's about it. My Fit had a good seating position, comfortable seats, cargo capacity, fuel economy, but didn't have the ground clearance or 4x4 or AWD (but I lived in the city, so I didn't really need that, especially with studded winter tires).

What will people think if they know that I'm a Jesus freak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:13 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
One not common discussion point on electric cars: In cold weather, the battery life can be well less than half. And soon the tax credits will be gone. Then there is competition with cars brands that have dealers and service.

-chart-
This is largely a problem of the past. Modern cars like the Teslas aren't very affected by cold weather itself. A total range loss of 20% tops, and that's mostly just from using the heater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:57 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Ford Taurus

Garage
Maybe at some point, the current SUV generation won't have a passel full of kids to haul around and will want a nice comfy sedan for retirement. I won't be around for that to happen. Meanwhile I'm sticking with my third Taurus until either it or I drop dead. Hopefully it will go before I do and I'll have to find one last car. Maybe one more Taurus...

What greater freedom than not knowing where you're going or why ?

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

If you know where you're going, it's travel. If you don't, it's an adventure.

All I need is coffee and mascara.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 AM
Devoted Member

Garage
It's the evolution of vehicles. I remember the minivan revolution, that was the rage and the end of the station wagon. Now the minivan has fell out of favor and it's small SUV's or what I call little station wagons. Short long roofs ?

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
'11 Tahoe
'09 Malilbu LS
'03 Sable LS 24v
'05 Sable 24v son's
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's Sea Doo
Previously enjoyed vehicles
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
'89 S10 Blazer 4x4
'79 Dodge Van period customized
'75 Cordoba
'68 GTO
'68 Chrysler Newport 2dr
'67 Chevy Caprice 2dr
'67 Chevelle
'65 Bonneville
'65 Chevelle
'64 Olds Jetstar 88
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairman54 View Post
It's the evolution of vehicles. I remember the minivan revolution, that was the rage and the end of the station wagon. Now the minivan has fell out of favor and it's small SUV's or what I call little station wagons. Short long roofs ?
A conversion van is a full-sized cargo van that is sent to third-party companies to be outfitted with various luxuries for road trips and camping.

Popular in the late 70's and 80's. Ride like the truck that they were.

-chart-
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Hate to say it but if Ford would make a desirable, well built and dependable car it would sell well in today's market. There are companies out there that will continue to make very good profits from selling cars. Instead of trying to compete with other car manufacturers, Ford is just giving up on that market to concentrate on trucks and SUVs which are selling well for all companies. I like having both a Ford car and a Ford truck but, apparently, that's gonna change pretty quick for me. I also feel that Ford is forgetting about brand loyalty. Small cars, because of their affordability, are still gonna be the first vehicle for many young adults. Once a first time car buyer has a good experience with a brand I'm guessing they'll stick with it as they move up the luxury ladder which can lead to high profit SUVs and Trucks.
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:36 PM

Year: 2004

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishx65 View Post
I also feel that Ford is forgetting about brand loyalty. Small cars, because of their affordability, are still gonna be the first vehicle for many young adults. Once a first time car buyer has a good experience with a brand I'm guessing they'll stick with it as they move up the luxury ladder which can lead to high profit SUVs and Trucks.
Very good point.

They were going to sell the Focus Active, but trumps tariffs killed that idea. Now it's just the Mustang which cost too much for first time
car buyers.

Has Ford said anything about dropping the Lincoln car line?
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Garage
I am not a fan of any car maker.
I had 7 Fords in the 80's, 6 in the 90's, & 5 in the '00's, with 2 '03's at present. I likely will buy another G-4 for my daughter someday. That is it.
Of these 5 Lin Cont's. Last one (pathetic) traded for 11 Buick Lucerne.
Actually the next to last Cont in under warranty 19 times so no expense, just no excuse for such quality or lack of.
As for the Buick, we need a large sedan with column shift. That limits the choice.
-chart-
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Year: 2012
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
Very good point.
They were going to sell the Focus Active, but trumps tariffs killed that idea. Now it's just the Mustang which cost too much for first time
car buyers.
I believe they've decided to keep the Fusion around for a bit longer as well, which I am thankful for. I don't mind SUVs, and I even still like my minivan (shhhh LOL), but the death of the sedan just bugs me. I can only hope cars make a comeback.

Quote:
While Ford already has stopped building the North American version of the Focus and will end production of the Fiesta and Taurus by the middle of next year, the Fusion faces a much slower death.

Executives have said only that the Fusion will stick around for at least a couple more years.

Source: https://www.autonews.com/article/201...-in-production
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishx65 View Post
Hate to say it but if Ford would make a desirable, well built and dependable car it would sell well in today's market. There are companies out there that will continue to make very good profits from selling cars.
In the first full year for its all-new model, the chart-topping Toyota Camry tumbled to a seven-year low.

Similarly, for the newly-arrived 10th-gen Honda Accord, sales fell to a seven-year low. 2018 represented just the third time in the last 30 years that U.S. Accord volume fell below 300,000 units. The other two instances? The recession of 2009 and the supply issues of 2011 following the Tōhoku earthquake.

Since taking over from the Maxima as Nissanís primary family sedan, Nissan averaged 265,000 annual Altima sales. 2018ís total fell 21-percent shy of that mark.

The Ford Fusionís 173,600-unit total was down 43 percent from its 2014 peak.

The Chevrolet Malibu tumbled to an 11-year low.

At 105,118 sales, Hyundai Sonata volume hit a 15-year low; Sonata sales fell by more than half in just three years.

The Kia Optimaís 5.5-percent year-over-year drop wasnít nearly as severe as the decrease experienced by most of its competitors, but the Optima still slid to its lowest level since the nameplate took off in third-gen form in 2011.

2018 was the sixth consecutive year of decline for the Volkswagen Passat, which fell by nearly two-thirds since surging in 2012.

All-wheel drive isnít doing the Subaru Legacy any favors in this crossover-hungry age. 2018 volume fell to the lowest level since the recession.

Mazda 6 sales declined to the lowest calendar-year total in the nameplateís history.

It doesn't matter how good the car is. The segment is doomed.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ry-and-accord/

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page