Ford once again says goodbye to the Taurus - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:39 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
The 300 is only continuing because itís cheap to make, much like why the Taurus continued on. Now that CAP is closing to retool for D6 Explorer/Aviator production, itís going away.

FCA has already said the Charger and Challenger are being refreshed for 2021 (still using the LX platform) and Marchionne was already strongly hinting that the 300 wasnít part of the plans for a refresh.

And donít be too in love with the Hemi, as Dodge already says that theyíll be moving to a twin-turbo Pentastar V6, as well as gas/electric performance combos. They might even throw a four banger turbo in the base model.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:18 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I am not a motorcycle guy but I think Harley is having trouble also. Just can't sell $40,000 bikes to younger crowd. Once baby boomers hit seventy they will sell more apparel to them than bikes. I like sedans but have nearly always had a SUV since 83 to satisfy my desire to accumulate stuff. I was without one for two years, but needed something to haul stuff. At he present cost of any car one has to spend money on the most practicable one out there. Since most people don't repair their cars they can't afford to have three different ones to fulfill their needs. Then talk insurance.
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 03:11 PM

Tesla may be American, but an electric is a very expensive toy. Can't exactly drive it across Texas either. Internal combustion is the only real solution today AND Texas has the oil to fuel them until the end of time. Sedans will come back when people tire of driving ugly tall wagons that handle poorly. Hopefully my current vehicles will make it until there is a viable blue oval replacement.

post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:21 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Ford Guy View Post
Tesla may be American, but an electric is a very expensive toy. Can't exactly drive it across Texas either. Internal combustion is the only real solution today AND Texas has the oil to fuel them until the end of time. Sedans will come back when people tire of driving ugly tall wagons that handle poorly. Hopefully my current vehicles will make it until there is a viable blue oval replacement.

One not common discussion point on electric cars: In cold weather, the battery life can be well less than half. And soon the tax credits will be gone. Then there is competition with cars brands that have dealers and service.

-chart-
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:09 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Sad to think it got the ax again. Honestly I like my Torrent but it doesn't have anywhere near the cargo space my wagon had. I still would love to get my hands on a newer SHO for a DD, or a Gen3 as a toy. Honestly I can't say that I'm surprised that the Sedan is going to be a thing of the past. Take a look at wagons..... they were the car everyone had when you had a family, till the minivan came around, then everyone wanted a minivan. There's very little of them in production now too which has changed over to the Crossovers. The car manufacturers giveth, and taketh.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartmaker View Post
One not common discussion point on electric cars: In cold weather, the battery life can be well less than half. And soon the tax credits will be gone. Then there is competition with cars brands that have dealers and service.

-chart-

Don't forget that presently there is no road use tax imposed on electric vehicles. But eventually they will have to report mileage to the state and get charged a hefty tax to use the roads. They will probably base it on vehicle weight and mileage. And when will they stop calling them zero emission and realize fossil fuel is burned to generate electricity to charge them.

I was talking to a solar installer at a Home Show yesterday. Three hours of sunlight on average in Ohio per day won't charge an electric car too much.
post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Year: 2004
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

This is so sad. I can't believe that Ford is doing this. It makes no sense.

I will probably always keep my Taurus. It's the best car I've ever owned.
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Makes me sad. I love the Taurus so much.
post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:15 PM

If I didn't have a '17 Alfa Giulia that I love, I'd pick up a 6th gen Taurus. As it is, I'm going to get another (having owned a few in the past) Gen 3 SHO as a Cars n Coffee car because I think they're an American classic. I loved the out on a limb styling back in the day, and I still do. Well made cars; well-engineered apart from the cam issue, but like Porsche's IMS bearing issue, there's an aftermarket solution.

2018 Mustang GT
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
2012 Honda Odyssey
1992 Alfa Romeo Spider

Looking for: 1996 Medium Willow Green SHO

Past Tauri: 1989 SHO (Gold), 1996 GL (MWG), 1996 SHO (Charcoal Grey), 1997 SHO (Pacific Green), 1998 SHO (Toreador Red)
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:55 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
This is so sad. I can't believe that Ford is doing this. It makes no sense.
Obviously it makes $en$e to them and unfortunately a look at sales numbers bear it out. Whether it's the Fusion or the Taurus, the sales number for 2018, are @ half of what they were in 2014. The sedan market just isn't there, if it was the manufacturing still would be.

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page