Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Overconsumption of gasoline

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  rjacket 
#1 ·
Hello everyone for a few weeks my Ford consumes a lot of gas especially when it's cold.
New air filter / change of candles made! She idles and climbs into the towers (1.200Tmn) then down, she does that a few times and cuddly.
If you had this problem, do you have a solution? . Thank you and good day</pre>

#14 ·
Now heres the funny thing about that... I actually typed into my good search engine which side of the road does France drive on, and it replied "Left"...

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+side+of+the+road+do+they+drive+on+in+france&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS821US821&oq=what+side+of+the+road+do+the&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5607j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

But if you follow the link in the answer (which I didnt), It says right. So I apologize for not following thru! I mean come on, google can never be wrong! :lol2:
Yes, well, most Americans think I live in an igloo, and drive either an electric car (because of the cord hanging out) or a dogsled. So, the fact that an american search engine would claim that in France they drive on the left side of the road is no surprise to me.

For the record, I drive a gasoline powered vehicle with an electric BLOCK HEATER (that's what the cord is for), and I live in a house much like yours - made of wood. While some Canadians do drive electric cars, and some do drive dog sleds, and some even live in igloos (and some drive dog sleds AND live in igloos), that is not true for all (indeed most) of us. Oh, in case you were wondering, we don't all speak French, either, although some of us do (and as I note above, I do speak a little bit of French, but not really enough to carry on a conversation).

Now that we've cleared all of that up, shall we get back to solving our French friend's poor fuel economy issue?

#15 ·
Yes, well, most Americans think I live in an igloo, and drive either an electric car (because of the cord hanging out) or a dogsled. So, the fact that an american search engine would claim that in France they drive on the left side of the road is no surprise to me.

Do you mean to tell me Canadians don't live in igloos!? :eek:

#9 ·
Havasu, if possible, try to find a mechanic with access to a computer scan tool compatible with your car. Alternatively, you may be able to purchase one online for cheap. That would help you see if there is any issues with simple solutions. It would also help narrow the issue down to a single system, be it fuel, air, or electric.

#11 ·
Let me see if I can translate this. You've changed the air filter, and installed new spark plugs. However, your gas mileage is still lower than you think it should be, and your idle isn't consistent, rising as high as 1200RPM, and falling, until the engine warms up.

Permettez-moi de voir si je peux traduire cela. Vous avez changé le filtre à air et installé de nouvelles bougies d'allumage. Cependant, votre kilométrage de gaz est encore plus bas que vous pensez qu'il devrait être, et votre ralenti n'est pas cohérent, augmentant aussi haut que 1200RPM, et tombant, jusqu'à ce que le moteur se réchauffe.

**** Je parle un peut de Francais, mais pour cela, j'ai utilisé un traducteur (for the English speakers - I speak a little bit of French, but for this I used a translator).

#12 ·
Pour une solution à votre problème, vous pourriez essayer de nettoyer la valve de contrôle d'air de ralenti (IAC), et vous voudrez peut-être également nettoyer le capteur de débit d'air de masse (sur les voitures plus anciennes, les voitures plus récentes ont un capteur de pression absolue collecteur).

**** English translation: For a solution to your problem, you might try cleaning the IAC (idle air control) valve, and you might also want to clean the Mass Airflow Sensor (on older cars, newer cars have a Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor)

#16 ·
Hello, following my problem, I come back to give you news! I started by changing the 6 candles. The garage told me that there were 3 normal and 3 white candles ...
They were not on the same ramp. Tonight I roll and she cocks when I arrive at a stop. If a person has already had this problem, tell me what he did to remedy.
Thank you for your answers because I really want to keep this car. Thank you .</pre>

#19 ·
Hello everyone . I come back because my worries advance (a little). After seeing a few people, it is quite possible that it comes from an air intake on an intake hose.
If it happened to someone who is following this post,
I would like to know towards hose I must look. Thank you in advance for your answers . Have a good day
PS: I usually order at Rockauto but there is no "hose kit".
</pre>

#21 ·
Good evening my friends, I found this pipe that starts to blow (flow meter) and goes to the back of the engine.
I saw this hole and it's not normal because it does not rotate properly. I think it will be difficult to find in France ....
If anyone can help me? Thank you

</pre>

#23 ·
Hello, could someone tell me what is the purpose of these 3 hoses? I always worry about my engine stalling.
I would like to fix it as soon as possible and I do not know where to look. Thank you for your answers .
Two provide fresh air to the valve covers. It is metered since it had been through the MAF. That metered air passes trough the MAF, then through the engine, then through the PCV and back to the intake. Thus measured air flow takes a round a bout cleansing of the crankcase and goes back to the engine intake. If there is a leak in these, unmetered air goes through the engine and makes for measuring error of air flow. I forgot what the third hose does.

-chart-

#25 ·
Hello, I will try to find what these pipes do, yesterday I did 600km (370 Mile) on the highway everything is fine but when I'm in town it becomes hell!
The car stalls constantly when I stop. I also noticed that when I arrived home (about 1 hour later) there was water flowing from below ...
I took some pictures, do you know what it's all about? She had never done that! Thank you for your answers .
Water flows under the passenger side. No smell, not oily.

</pre>

#26 ·
That big pipe is your exhaust pipe. Something above it appears to be leaking. Since it appears to have no smell, I'm guessing it's just condensation from your air conditioner (which has a drip line from the condenser that might be somewhere nearby. If that's the case, it would be totally normal to find moisture dripping under the car from the air conditioner (when it's running).

On the other hand, it could be something else. I'm sure somebody else will be able to help more.

#27 ·
You need to clean the MAF sensor, the IAC valve, and the throttle body.
If you can get it there in France,Walmart sells a package that contains everything you need.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-MAF-Throttle-Body-Single-Use-Twin-Pack-1-Kit/36755294

less than $8 American. (About 7 Euro)

There are good videos on doing all of this on YouTube.

Just search YouTube for "Taurus clean IAC" or "Taurus clean MAF"

That should take care of all idle issues.

ANY idle issues, this is what you should do first.

Rabbit out!

#28 ·
A tip if you'd like to like to ship anything overseas.

There are shipping forwarding companies who will accept deliveries and then forward them to any address. They will even consolidate shipments.

I used such a company in Oregon to receive an iMac and had them ship it to me in California.

For somebody in France, you may want to find a similar company on the east coast, preferably in a no or low sales tax state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.