post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb How do i make 30mpg?

So, my 06 taurus is currently reading 28.2mpg on its fairly accurate digital trip. Every fill up reads 500 miles or more to a tank, but only lasts to 460 (+/-10) miles when i run it down to empty. I've tried premium gas and driving 60 mph like an old man, and its going up slowly, but seems to plateau at 28mpg and some when i hit traffic or one or two red lights. My drive to work every day is approximately 19 miles, with about 1.5 miles of neighborhood before i hit the highway, and six stops (three stop signs and three lights) along my route. My tire pressures are all up to par and i do pretty well at maintaining an average speed on the highway. Im not sure where to go from here, short of hypermile-ing techniques. I am so close that i can taste it.

What can i do to pick up 2 mpg? Short of carbon fiber and completely stripping my car down of course. Im not an ecomodder or anything, but i want that satisfaction of seeing 30mpg on the digital trip. Wowing the friends and co-workers with what my car is capable of is a plus too

So please, help me achieve my simple goal of making 30mpg.

Things that i've noticed over roughly 6 months of trial and error:
The difference between 60mph and 65mph on the digital trip is almost negligible
70mph will almost hold at 28mpg on my daily drive
Higher octane (or premium fuel at least) makes it easier to hold or gain MPG on the digital trip
Running a half tank of gas to save weight makes a minor difference (.2-.3mpg to roughly estimate)
Slower than 60mph is not safe on my daily drive to work and back.
A high flow drop in air filter made a .2-.3 mpg difference

Things i am unsure about:
Windows down vs running the AC on the highway vs suffering with windows up.
Using accessories like the radio (how much can a radio even tax your engine at full blast?)
Using Overdrive versus just Drive (Less than 2 miles of neighborhood when i go to and from work)
Using a cheap "OBDII performance chip" to run an open fuel loop all the time (could possibly help since my drive is mostly highway and 60-65mph requires very little throttle to achieve)
Switching to a different wheel and tire combination compared to the stock 16 inch, 215 tires and wheels

Anyway, what can i do to get those two magical MPGs out of my car? Driving like an old man has done the majority of it for me, so where do i go from here? Can suffering with windows up and no radio really net me 2mpg? Do i need to break out the cardboard and painters tape?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:52 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFrost_Metallic View Post
So, my 06 taurus is currently reading 28.2mpg on its fairly accurate digital trip. Every fill up reads 500 miles or more to a tank, but only lasts to 460 (+/-10) miles when i run it down to empty. I've tried premium gas and driving 60 mph like an old man, and its going up slowly, but seems to plateau at 28mpg and some when i hit traffic or one or two red lights. My drive to work every day is approximately 19 miles, with about 1.5 miles of neighborhood before i hit the highway, and six stops (three stop signs and three lights) along my route. My tire pressures are all up to par and i do pretty well at maintaining an average speed on the highway. Im not sure where to go from here, short of hypermile-ing techniques. I am so close that i can taste it.

What can i do to pick up 2 mpg? Short of carbon fiber and completely stripping my car down of course. Im not an ecomodder or anything, but i want that satisfaction of seeing 30mpg on the digital trip. Wowing the friends and co-workers with what my car is capable of is a plus too

So please, help me achieve my simple goal of making 30mpg.

Things that i've noticed over roughly 6 months of trial and error:
The difference between 60mph and 65mph on the digital trip is almost negligible
70mph will almost hold at 28mpg on my daily drive
Higher octane (or premium fuel at least) makes it easier to hold or gain MPG on the digital trip
Running a half tank of gas to save weight makes a minor difference (.2-.3mpg to roughly estimate)
Slower than 60mph is not safe on my daily drive to work and back.
A high flow drop in air filter made a .2-.3 mpg difference

Things i am unsure about:
Windows down vs running the AC on the highway vs suffering with windows up.
Using accessories like the radio (how much can a radio even tax your engine at full blast?)
Using Overdrive versus just Drive (Less than 2 miles of neighborhood when i go to and from work)
Using a cheap "OBDII performance chip" to run an open fuel loop all the time (could possibly help since my drive is mostly highway and 60-65mph requires very little throttle to achieve)
Switching to a different wheel and tire combination compared to the stock 16 inch, 215 tires and wheels

Anyway, what can i do to get those two magical MPGs out of my car? Driving like an old man has done the majority of it for me, so where do i go from here? Can suffering with windows up and no radio really net me 2mpg? Do i need to break out the cardboard and painters tape?
Drive a Buick!

By actual repeat runs = 30 miles each way, 65 one way 70 other. Then reverse next run. 65= +2.1 mpg better. No kidding aside.

Brake drag/fuel economy issue story.

Vehicle, Buick Terraza. Daughter/Son In-law bought 1 year old, 15K miles. They wanted me to look at before buying. I saw the brake rotors look horrible. I told them to make the selling GM dealer replace pads and rotors, and they did. Next thing, my son in-law calls and said the front brakes are hot, even after 1.5 mile drive. I went over and jacked up one front and the was all I could do to move the wheel. Removed the tire and pulled the caliper. Caliper was quite free. Pads stuck. I had to use a screw driver and mallet to drive out the pads. Son In-law off to buy pads at the parts house. I examined the ones off and they had what I would call "hangnails" or ragged stampings with sharp burs. I filed the hangnails off and put the old ones back in and they slid in easily. New pads had the exact same defect so I filed the burrs off first and they slid in nicely. GM and parts house, look identicl. Problem solved.

Soon son in-law calls and said the rears are too hot. He took it back under warranty and they found the rear wheel bearings "clunky loose". New hubs and brake issue solved.

Dragging brake use lots of gas, and cause short pad life.

Next one. Buick, used, rust free, nice, 7 year old, 59K miles, serviced whole life by dealer. New pads and rotors. By dealer. Routine check by me found left front warm, right rear warm. As in much warmer than the opposite side. Pulled the left front and stuck guide pin. Worked it out with significant effort. No grease, total dry steel to steel. I cleaned and greased the pin and hole and it works nice. Rear, parking brake not releasing all the way. After some repeated use it was fine. I guessing the old man who owned this car did not use the brake.

I could go but point made.

Easy test. Cold start, drive around the block, 4-5 turns and park. Compare brake heat side to side.
Outside temp matters. See temp in the att.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mpgBuik18.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	206283  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:19 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

The times I've broken 30MPG, I had a decent load in the car and the AC on. But that was with a Duratec.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2006

I am surprised that after all you mentioned you didn't think of tire pressure. Running the highest safe tire pressure will yield the most gas mileage. Clean out the trunk of extra stuff.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 01:07 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
I am surprised that after all you mentioned you didn't think of tire pressure. Running the highest safe tire pressure will yield the most gas mileage. Clean out the trunk of extra stuff.

And a 5 mph wind can knock 2mpg off. I have made quite a few cross country runs in Lin Cont. Have seen quite different mpg on same gas, same day. And OH, IN, IL the roads do not change. Best is early in the morning. Less wind, cooler. I can see ~5 mpg difference in the same day. Worst is when I stop for a while in hot summer and hit the road again. Until the interior cools off the A/C kills the mpg. Once the inside is stable, little difference in warm/cool weather.

-chart-
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:01 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2005
Model: Mercury Montego

Garage
Tire size could help, but not to likely, while still keeping a size relative to the cars recommended size. You could run a 205/65R16, which will net a 0.4 inch smaller foot print on the ground. That equals less rolling resistance. This size will also equal a 1.1%+ difference on speedometer reading. Go any smaller, and I dont think it would be very safe, at least on the drive wheels. You could go quite smaller on the non-drive wheels, where there is quite a bit less weight, but it would look kinda funny. But go to much smaller, and you would have to get a different rim to allow the smaller width in tire.

AC, well Mythbusters did a episode on this, They determined that below 45 mph, AC does make a difference, and above 45, it made no difference.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:54 PM

Year: 2002

Get a Honda civic.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 PM

Buy a Focus

RICE - ITS WHATS FOR DINNER !

Eric Lehmann

Lots of V8 SHO's
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Lie...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
Lie...
LOL

My '07 Vulcan gets +/- 30.8 on a flat as hell texas highway. Less if I go to OK and have hills. Less if there's even one stoplight. My '03 rarely got more than 26. Don't know. Tire pressure does make a difference - in the ride, too. '07 has nice Michelins, '03 has crap.

'03 has original Oxy sensors, '07 has nice new ones, maybe that has something to do with it.

I drive like the old man that I am since I' the one who does the maintenance, but I notice when my daughter drives the car the mileage is much less. She has a foot like the little old lady from Pasadena.

The Taurus was never a real 'economy' car since it has 6 cylinders, but I'll pay the extra little bit in fuel for a nice, comfy seat and save my arthritic spine. Would you rather fly to Europe in a 747 or a Cessna?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page