3.8 liter Essex experiences - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
3.8 liter Essex experiences

For those of who have own a first or second gen Taurus. I wanted to know of your experiences with the 3.8 liter Essex V6. I've heard of the infamous head gasket failures this engine was known to have. Have any of you out there ever encountered this issue or have you done things to stop this from happening? I'm asking because I'm looking at restoring a first gen Taurus wagon. My first choice I want is an 86 LX wagon, but just in case I can't find the one I want my second and third choice for a first gen to be either a 90 or 91 GL or LX wagon. I know that 3.8 liter engine became available later in these years and eventually that engine was the only available engine on an LX wagon for 91. Please tell me your experiences with this engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusLX86 View Post
For those of who have own a first or second gen Taurus. I wanted to know of your experiences with the 3.8 liter Essex V6. I've heard of the infamous head gasket failures this engine was known to have. Have any of you out there ever encountered this issue or have you done things to stop this from happening? I'm asking because I'm looking at restoring a first gen Taurus wagon. My first choice I want is an 86 LX wagon, but just in case I can't find the one I want my second and third choice for a first gen to be either a 90 or 91 GL or LX wagon. I know that 3.8 liter engine became available later in these years and eventually that engine was the only available engine on an LX wagon for 91. Please tell me your experiences with this engine.

I had Essex in '91 & '93 Lin Cont. Ok except last one had the engine replaced under warranty due to cold start knock. '92 and '95 Sables, sedan and wagon. Wagon lost the head gasket and replaced under warranty by Ford. My mother had '92 Sable and had gasket fail before 50K. Engine is massive torque that runs out very early. Lin version slightly better but marginal. Very quiet and comfortable. On interstate ramps, have to go flat out all the way just to get merge speed.

-chart-
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ I'm skeered of the Taurus/Sable 3.8 Essex, lol! Run Forrest run (away)!!!
chartmaker and redhousenine like this.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:43 AM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus

Never owned a 3.8, and never will.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:25 AM

OK. They are prone to head gasket leaks, especially coolant to cylinder. You will notice broken or chipped insulators on the spark plugs (keep them cleaned and gapped) if coolant is leaking into the cylinder. If it is, take it down right away as the coolant will eventually cause the piston to seize after the engine is shut down and next time the starter is engaged it will break the rod for that cyl.

Also, I believe that engine has separate EGR ports for each cylinder in the intake manifold. The problem is that if they become carboned up, the engine will knock. You won't get a code for it but my theory is that the knocking causes the head gasket to fail leading to the above problem.

With this engine, start taking it down and looking for problems at the very first sign of trouble. If it starts knocking you can clean out the EGR ports with compressed air and don't even think about all that crap in bottles at the car parts store.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 AM

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I had a 1998 Windstar with the Essex engine. Shortly after 100,000 miles, the engine developed an occasional misfire that would trigger the check engine light, but strangely the miss was never felt. This eventually got worse to the point where the check engine light would flash more often as well as a noticeable coolant leak coming somewhere from the front of the engine. (cylinder 4, I think). My dad poured some head gasket sealer in the coolant and eventually the miss, leak and CEL codes went away, however the engine became under powered at some point as 1 or more cylinders were likely losing compression, and the max speed going up a hill on the freeway was ~45 MPH. Then shortly after 150,000 miles, the engine developed a constant miss in cylinder 3. This was unrelated to the head gasket and was likely a fuel delivery issue (failed injector?) as the catalytic converters never heated up. My dad didn't want to mess around with it so eventually it was sent off to the junkyard.

My uncle had a 1990 Mercury Sable with the Essex, which was handed down to my Grandma. Creeping up on 100,000 miles, my uncle noticed a puddle of coolant under the car one day and looked into the issue. When he confirmed that the head gasket was failing, he too did not want to mess around with it and advised my Grandma to look for a new car. She brought a brand new 2005 Taurus, which was then handed down to me in 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Taurus SE
Vulcan OHV Engine
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 PM
Devoted Member

Year: mult
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I had decent luck with my 91 3.8. She needed one head gasket job and made it to around 200k. Second transmission is what was the end of the car. The motor was still damn good running at the time and started instantly.

2006 Vulcan 64k GF daily driver
2003 Vulcan 92k My daily driver
2000 Vulcan 115k saved from the scrap yard
1991 3.8 207k drove to junk yard, 1988 Vulcan lost in divorce
2009 Impala 3.0 18k my nice car
1996 F250 Powerstroke my toy-pristine lots of mods
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:39 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Buy one with a bad head gasket, swap in a 3.0L SHO engine and manual transmission, problem solved.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

That's cool and all but I don't want to modify a Taurus. I want to restore one and keep it mostly original. If I wanted an SHO I'd buy an SHO.
Lrobby99 and kekaye56 like this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1989
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.0L Yamaha V6

Garage
Being a new 3.8 owner myself i actually enjoy this engine a lot better than the Vulcan. But my question why not replace the head gaskets with MLS ones like I am getting ready to do. Except for one thing. Which ones should be used the ones for the Mustang or the ones for the Windstar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page