9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 AM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Not sure if anyone looked at this but my interest is in the Gen 4 Taurus. I see plenty of Gen 4's at Pick n Pull. Many have no body damage. I rarely see any with over 200,000 miles. Doesn't really mean much, as most owners don't do repairs themselves, but is this the general observation out there?

Spock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:16 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Not sure if anyone looked at this but my interest is in the Gen 4 Taurus. I see plenty of Gen 4's at Pick n Pull. Many have no body damage. I rarely see any with over 200,000 miles. Doesn't really mean much, as most owners don't do repairs themselves, but is this the general observation out there?

Spock
Been to our local Pick A Part a number of times. Pic shows, throttle cables rotted into by battery acid. There is a battery cover to prevent this, but if it is left off by a shop, you risk this. Cost of tow and replace the cables might be quite high, only source is the JY and much labor. And likely this car has other poor maint. And, I usually see the air filter coated in oil. That is because the PCV is stuck and pushing crankcase junk back into the accordion. Once this condition is made you have poor idle due to PCV, and oil plugged air filter makes it weak on power. Lots of code too I would guess. However, here in the rust belt, it is mostly rust.

As to the battery cover, my used '03 bought couple years back had no cover. The hose clamp on the large hose adjacent was digging into the battery but not bad yet. I got a cover at the JY. New battery too.

-chart-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryAcid.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	186258  
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Devoted Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post

Spock
Probably blown trans cars. That's the 125k to 150k mark. Most folks never do any trans. service never mind any regular proper maintenance.
As long as it starts and goes who cares if all kinds of lights are lit up on the dash.
When you have to pay someone for maintenance it gets ignored, that money cuts into the IPhone 27 fund.......
The 2 biggest expenses in the average persons life are homes and vehicles and they are the most neglected until a major issue pops up.

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
'11 Tahoe
'09 Malilbu LS
'03 Sable LS 24v
'05 Sable 24v son's
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's Sea Doo
Previously enjoyed vehicles
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
'89 S10 Blazer 4x4
'79 Dodge Van period customized
'75 Cordoba
'68 GTO
'68 Chrysler Newport 2dr
'67 Chevy Caprice 2dr
'67 Chevelle
'65 Bonneville
'65 Chevelle
'64 Olds Jetstar 88

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1988
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.2L Yamaha V6

Yep, says 150,252 on the beautiful digital dash on my 1988 wagon. But thats wrong. Dash is out of a 90 sho, digital cluster from a junkyard 95 sable. Installed and it said 125k. Last dash from my 88 said 180k when I gutted the interior to put the sho interior in it. So the body/chassis has 205k miles. The motor is 3.0 sho from the same 1990 was removed was rebuilt in the 88 wagon when the new digital dash said 135k. So only 15k on the motor. Hopefully I got a lot of life left in the motor. The manual tranny was rebuilt with good used gears/syncros from another and the diff welded. It has about 5k miles on it, but doesn't matter, nothings new in that tranny, and cannot find them anymore. I have another box of tranny parts but I think thats going to end my car someday down the road, the transmission. Hopefully not for another 30 years
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030584.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	186274  

1988 Ford Taurus SHO Wagon - 1995 Mercury Sable LS Wagon -
1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:36 PM

Model: Ford Taurus

Sensor (an 03 Tarsus SES) currently has ~195,600 miles on her (might not be 200k per see, but close enough to be included . I bought her in July 2015 from a former boss (mechanic by trade) with ~ 165k on her.

Over the last 19 months I've replaced the tires and shocks (Oct 2015 ~172k), replaced the idler pulley (Oct/Nov 2015), Removal of A/C after a seizing that ripped the belt apart (Mid 2016) Spark Plugs, HT Leads/Coil Packs (Sept 2016 ~ 186k). She has some rust damage on the rear driver wheel well (typical) and rattles a little under acceleration. Nonetheless she still runs strong as hell. Majority of her miles nowadays is highway (~90 a day) between 65 & 75 in cruise control) and avg mid to high 20's (pending on time of year and seasonal gas blends), with no CELs. Currently on track to hit 200k in April/Early May area.
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
My 2000 made it to ~200k miles (totaled).
My 2010 made it to ~120k miles (totaled).
My 2013 is at ~93k miles.
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004

Garage
So i have now owned by Taurus for a solid 6 months and to be honest it has been a lot of work. i knew getting into this car that i would have to do a lot of basic maintenance but boy howdy did i underestimate just how much i was gonna need to do. here is a list of things i replaced since purchasing the car in August 2016.

New Windshield
fuel filter change
IAC sensor changed
MAF sensor changed
PCV Valve Changed
Transmission filter change
Transmission fluid flush/change
Spark plugs x 6
oil change
oiled my Camshaft position sensor due to it starting to chirp a little
Thermostat and Coolant flush
replaced Starter
Replaced front rotors and brake-pads
replaced blower motor.
fixed exhaust leaks
all motor-craft parts were used except Rotors and brakes.

as well as many many other small little repairs. all in all some of these did not have to be done and some defiantly needed to be done! ( Transmission fluid/ Filter ) the starter was replaced due to the car leaving my stranded at a In n Out i replaced in in the parking lot and was on my way..

i bought the car with 155k miles and now i have 161,300 so in 6 thousand miles i have done quite a lot of work to the car. i believe i have worked the majority of the kinks out of it now and it seems to idle and run like a dream. i will continue to let you all know my story as i continue to own this car. i know it might not be everyone's favorite but honestly this car has taught me alot about maintaining a car. i really am planning on at least 200k out of this thing. i truly suspect that the car will need struts all the way around here shortly but i will keep running it as is for now.

i have still been running into a problem where my car seems to idle smoother with the headlights on ? i know this seems silly but when the motor is cold if i start the car up and not turn the headlights on the cars seems to run crappy for awhile. i tested the voltage and 13. ish volts to the battery with lights on engine running. lights off i get like 14v to the battery so i know my alternator is doing its job. i think its some dumb like PCM problem or something. also i get a weird vibration when i brake hard going like 60 or 70 almost feels like brake rotors but i just replaced them. i suspect it could have to do with the transmission because it only seems to happen when i brake when the car is in overdrive. if anyone has any similar issues and was able to resolve them i would greatly appreciate any advice.

To all of those out there that was looking for a cheap reliable beater. i really do not know how you can not look into buying one of these. i have had to do alot of work to mine but in all reality i love this car so much and i really would have done what i did to this car to any other whip i bought so. i only have had 1 taurus and i want another already haha. Ford is my favorite. hope everyone's Bulls good-luck on this journey we call life !

1985 Toyota 2.0L EFI 4 runner 250K Sold
1986 Ford Bronco 5.0L EFI 200K -Sold
2001 Ford Ranger 3.0L Vulcan 115K Dayly Driven
2004 Ford Taurus SES 3.0L Vulcan 156K Newest Car and so far has not let me down, tho it has needed some work non the less

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2004SESSleeper; 03-13-2017 at 04:46 PM.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:52 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990

Most of your list is regular maintenance deferred by previous owner(s). You will be doing some major work on the suspension sooner or later but if you are handy with tools - and have them! - and a place to work on the car, it's all doable by the owner. I've rebuilt the front and rear ends of my car within the past five years and the difference in handling and ride was amazing.

On one level, it's a shame you got stuck doing all that catch-up maintenance - but on the bright side, YOU know it was done and when it was done. Nice work, so far - keep it up!

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004

Garage
i bought 4 new Struts assembly's for my car but i am somewhat hesitant to put them in, 1 i have never done it on any car, and 2 i just dont know if replacing motorcraft parts with brand new aftermarket struts will really be a good idea in the long run. i mean i am still gonna do it most likely since i have them but i have heard that the aftermarket struts are kind of "Hit or miss" but i guess new is better then 13 years old parts with 160k on them.

and you are right about the standard maintenance, i really shouldent be surprised i did that stuff, the main reason i did it is because like you said so I have a record of what actually has been replaced, the owner before me was a older lady and i dident get the impression she took the car in for routine maintenance just oil changes if that. but for whatever reason the Taurus has really grown on me i really enjoy driving the car even with its qwerks . i will be one of those fellas on here that owns a few bulls before its out of my system. they really are a simple car to work on in my experience so far. Thank you for the kind words though i enjoy this forum and the members have always helped me with whatever i have needed in terms of advice. thew road to 200K continues haha

1985 Toyota 2.0L EFI 4 runner 250K Sold
1986 Ford Bronco 5.0L EFI 200K -Sold
2001 Ford Ranger 3.0L Vulcan 115K Dayly Driven
2004 Ford Taurus SES 3.0L Vulcan 156K Newest Car and so far has not let me down, tho it has needed some work non the less

post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Devoted Member

Garage
New struts always went into my cars at the 130k mile mark. No more saggy rear end and a new car ride. I've used Monroe or KYB complete struts in several different Sables with no issues other than getting a salt zone car apart.
Your on the West coast so you will not have to deal with the corrosion / frozen fasteners like we in the salt zone have to deal with.
Change them out, you'll be happy ya did.

John
"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
'11 Tahoe
'09 Malilbu LS
'03 Sable LS 24v
'05 Sable 24v son's
'01 FLHR
Ski Doo's Sea Doo
Previously enjoyed vehicles
'07 Mustang GT 3 pedals
'88 Bull 170k rust & trans = junked
'94 Bull 160k sold while still running
'00 Sable wagon 24v 212k sold running fine
'89 S10 Blazer 4x4
'79 Dodge Van period customized
'75 Cordoba
'68 GTO
'68 Chrysler Newport 2dr
'67 Chevy Caprice 2dr
'67 Chevelle
'65 Bonneville
'65 Chevelle
'64 Olds Jetstar 88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page