Most expensive repair you were willing to do - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 02:42 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
$500 to have the alternator replaced at the shop seemed like alot, even though it is burred in the engine compartment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 11:47 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Only things I've paid people to do were either things pros should handle (tires/alignment) or stuff I didn't want to bother with (transaxle). Never more than a couple hundred at a time though. Otherwise, everything else (suspension, brakes, tuneup, oil pan gasket, etc) I've done with my father when I'm down in AZ.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2002
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Depends.

I have a 2002 with only 66K on it that has spent its life in a garage. The first month I owned it I replaced the cam sensor, oil pan gasket, the timing chain cover and water pump and the harmonic balancer and flushed the coolant - all done in my garage for about $230 total - just to take care of a small oil leak and as preventive maintenance given its age and the fact that I was "in there" anyway.

To find another mid sized car (of any make or any year) with no rust, no dents, good paint and a clean interior with that kind of mileage will easily run $4000 to $8000 or more. Book on it is probably around $3K retail - but you'll look a long time to find one similar for that price - mainly because they don't exist. I would probably replace the engine or transmission in it - but if I thought there was the possibility of needing both its headed to the salvage yard.

Normal "maintenance" items like struts, brakes and springs are a no brainer - anything you buy could easily need the same - along with the cost of a purchase. USUALLY the cheapest car you can own is the one you already have. So spending a $400 on a $1200 car that is otherwise dependable is cheap compared to buying something you don't know and having the possibility of the same repair.
brevity likes this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 11:11 AM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Overall I think these are good cars and like others here I do most if not all of the repairs myself. The money I save on shop labor helps me afford any tools needed that I don't already have. Like others have said if you compare the cost of maintenance repairs (that you would have with any higher mileage car) to a monthly payment of a new car it's easy to justify it. To your question about where the limit would be I would have to say any major engine/transmission work needed on my '01 or '04 that I could not do myself would probably push the limits based on the value of the car and the cost to replace it.

Kevin

Current stable
2004 Sable LS Prem DOHC
2003 Taurus SES Vulcan
2002 Taurus SES DOHC

Retired:
2001 Taurus SES DOHC
2000 Taurus SE Vulcan
1994 Sable GS
1988 Taurus LX
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 10:34 AM

Year: 2003
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
I love my Third Bull and do all I can to keep it running. It's paid for, good gas mileage, fun to drive, cheap to insure, and with regular maintenance, reliable.

It's been diagnosed with a timing cover leak. Ford wants $2400 to fix it, so obviously, I won't be going there. (I'm aware this is not an easy repair and requires the engine to be pulled.) Hopefully I'll find a local shop that can do it for less. Meanwhile I'll monitor oil consumption.

I don't want another used car; I know all the work I've had done on this one and it runs well. I can't really afford a new one and don't want payments.

I don't mind paying for regular maintenance items - tires, struts, oil changes, filters etc. It's worth it to keep the car going.

What greater freedom than not knowing where you're going or why ?

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

If you know where you're going, it's travel. If you don't, it's an adventure.

All I need is coffee and mascara.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 06:42 PM

Year: 2014
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Not my Taurus, but the car previous to it.

2006 Infiniti G35x that I've had since new. I repaired everything on it. Wheel bearings, electrical gremlins, suspension parts, etc. But the final failure was when the front driveshaft on the AWD system decided to let go at 80MPH (Infiniti AWD is rear-biased, like a truck). It did some damage under the car. Prob $1K in used parts, and a weekend of work.

SInce the car had 172K miles, I decided I was done with it. I bought my Taurus. I'd rather make payments right now, as my free time is more valueable and I no longer want to spend it repairing old cars.

Dealer didn't want the Infiniti, so it's still sitting in the garage broken. I might RWD convert it and drop in an LS1.

2014 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 10:29 PM
Exalted Grand Poobah

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 1990

I won't do an engine rebuild or a transmission rebuild, that is for the pros. I spent $1800 a year ago to have my transmission rebuilt by an expert. Otherwise, I do everything and figure what I have saved on the "smaller" jobs - front and rear suspension rebuilds and replacing the HVAC system over the past four years - paid for the tranny twice over. Haven't made a car payment in years on this wagon. Southern cars will last for years, so down here you find one you like and keep it.

Cancer sucks. Cancer post-op is almost worse than the cancer. Best part is, being alive to b*tch about it!

************************************************** *****************************

2016 Q1 Car of the Quarter
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:46 PM

Makes me feel good and accomplished seeing these comments on how much people paid for there maintenance. I've done front struts tranny and oil pan drop and replaced gaskets and filter on tranny front brakes. Rock auto has a good closeout sale on old parts that they need to get rid of. I got my front struts (monroe) for less than 40 bucks for the pair. This is my first car I've been really motivated and confident to do my own repairs on
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:34 AM

Year: 2002

Most expensive single repair, (going by if you took it to a shop vs. do it yourself), is replacing headgaskets due to overheating. The bolts and gasket set cost around 150$ or less from rockauto, enginetech brand both. So far what's been done to the car (including previously mentioned),are both front strut assemblies, both front axles, (the passenger side due to stripped threads), both front rotors(and pads of course), fuel pump, water pump, serp. belt, alternator, starter, all the pullies not connected to any accessories aside from tensioner, upper o2 sensors and a switched out fuel pressure sensor from jy because trying to figure out a running rich problem.

Replaced the head gaskets with the help of makuloco's youtube videos on my exact engine, amazing help. Took 2 full days working on it and freezing temperatures. I'd rather that than blazing hot.
kekaye56 likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:46 AM

Year: 2017
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Most expensive repair, $1300 to have AC compressor replaced and serviced on '06 500. I have not returned to that shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page