Poll of the week: Fall maintenance prority - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
View Poll Results: What is your #1 Fall maintenance priority?
Battery and charging system, check/service 8 29.63%
Coolant check/service/flush 4 14.81%
Tires (evaluate/service/mount snows) 5 18.52%
Fluid and filter changes 3 11.11%
Brake system and suspension check/service 1 3.70%
Exterior and interior (wax/prep for winter) 5 18.52%
Change the air freshner, weather is not an issue here 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Play Nice or Don't Play

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Poll of the week: Fall maintenance prority

With more comfortable outdoor working temperatures arriving and Winter coming Fall is often the biggest maintenance season for most of us. Keeping in mind that many of us do all of the things listed and more besides, what is #1 on your annual Fall maintenance list? Please focus on maintenance rather than necessary repairs.

Since many of the folks that visit are relatively new to the Bull, or car maintenance in general, please note below any top priority you have that I may have failed to list. Also feel free to discuss seasonal maintenance in general

It's SHO time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

I'm planning on escaping the last two weeks of December back to my desert paradise (land of the sane), so I think I'll avoid the worst of it.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Play Nice or Don't Play

I neglected to make it a 'public' poll please post what you selected

It's SHO time!

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:05 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
While there are a bunch of things that always get checked before the winter hell we deal with in the NE....... most important, to me, is making sure your battery and charging system is in full working, good serviceable order. There's nothing worse than getting in your nicely cleaned and polished car...... just to find out that it's stone dead and won't start because you've been putting off replacing that battery for years and now you are stuck at work in the middle of a snowstorm.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:29 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

I like to make sure I have the "winter" emergency kit ready as the distances between destinations is far in Idaho.

2013 Taurus Limited - H&R Sport Lowering Springs
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Ive been preparing since july, lol. New battery and alternator already in the car, so im focusing on exterior preparation at this point. Greased all latches and locks recently as well. The last repair im doing before the cold is replacing the A/C compressor. Gotta have that defrost, lel.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Play Nice or Don't Play

With the exception of the cooling system, that's a spring service here, the 'fleet' gets all of the above but the charging system is always #1 with a bullet. In addition to checking the charging system, cables and connections I won't let any of the vehicles enter a northern New England winter with a 3.5+ year old battery, it's not worth the risk. Most of the snow tires are studded. Though they can be put on as soon as 10/01 I usually wait until after Thanksgiving so the studs don't get worn down prematurely. We usually get snow well before that but not in such sufficient or lasting amounts that the studs are needed.

It's SHO time!

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:21 PM

Chapter: Midwest

Temps here have gotten to -40F for the past few years. If your battery and charging system isn't in good shape, you WILL find out. Nothing like trying to replace a battery in a parking lot, at night, in -40 temps. Ask me how I know.

Also, gotta make sure the oil is thin enough. Not really a problem with the Sable, but 2 years ago I didn't swap weights during the winter and the oil in my truck (sbc) was solid during the worst cold snap.

Tires need to be in good shape. Ice skating is no fun on back roads or the interstate.

Heater core needs to be in good shape and coolant topped off, along with the "defrost" setting actually working.

Anything that looks like it might not last til spring and I have the money to do before it's cold, I do. Working on cars in arctic temps sucks.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Tires, for me.

Batteries should all be in good shape, and the Bull just got a nice Quick Lane inspection with not so much as a yellow let alone red flag. Colder temps just make an even better case for battery and snow tires...

Great poll idea, Mark.

thefranchise713

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 PM
TCCA Facebook Admin

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
Just a hand wash and wax. I've had my oem rubber mats in the SHO since the first rains so that should keep the SHO mats from getting ruined.

The SEL needs some waterproofing before december, but otherwise I don't see much of anything that needs to be done this winter

Josh S.
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - Light Ice Blue
2003 Taurus SHO V8 - Dark Shadow Grey
2002 Taurus SEL Premium - Royal Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page