Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

"Backup Slot" not active?

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  thefranchise713 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone -

In my 2013 SHO, I needed to use the "Backup Slot" in the center console since I dropped remote on the cement, lost the battery somewhere in the grass, at night...it was a mess. So, I slipped the remote into the "Backup Slot" so I can start my car without a remote battery, and it would not work.

Well, I was stuck. Luckly, a radio shack was open nearby and installed a new battery, an viola!...But....this "Backup Slot" does not work. When I got home, I even took the battery out of the other remote to test and nothing.

I got my car new in Nov 13, do you think the slot was not active? Is this something that has to be enabled prior to delivery to work with my fobs?

It's very odd.

Thanks,
- Mark

#4 ·
This is why I like cars where you insert the key into a slot and turn it....

#5 ·
Well, I went to the dealership this morning to have it looked it. First I was told by the service adviser that I am not supposed to use that port as it's for programming remotes only. I swear. I don't know where they get these people.

Told the adviser what it is used for, even showed him in the manual. So, he takes the car in for a look. After an hour, they have verified it does not work, but can't figure it out. They said they need my car for 2-3 days so they can diag. the wiring. I swear. I give up. Told them don't touch it, and I left.

So...there you go. I don't use the MyKey function anyway, but it would be nice to have it in case the remote dies....so, moving on with life...!

- Mark

#7 ·
Yea, there are a few more, not as close, but not that far away. I only needed it done since I am getting a Viper alarm on the car, and the stereo guys said they needed that port active...but, they are going to work without it...they are just going to need the chip from one of my remotes....so, I am not going to mess with it anymore....My car already has the factory remote start, but I want to start it using my smartphone to I get the range...

Thanks..
- Mark

#8 ·
Haha, I know your exact dilemma with the remote start. I added the Ford cellular remote stat (self installed) start because the Viper reseller couldn't figure out how to do a range extension and insisted on the full fake normal start. Anyway.

I would get that port working if I were you, however. If your fob dies, you're going to have a nasty no-crank/no-start situation eventually.

#9 ·
I would certainly call Ford and report the dealer has no clue and doesn't know what the heck they are doing with service and then go find a dealer that has good service.

#10 ·
Well, check this out......after I left the dealership, even though they could not fix it, I tested it....and it still did not work. I went back to the alarm place, and they said they would figure it out without that backup slot enabled.

When I picked up my car from the alarm place, they said it works now, that the dealership must have done something. Well, I tested it after the dealership and it was not working, though I did not tell them that.....so.....I am assuming the alarm place hooked up something they shouldn't from the beggining, and it caused it to be not active. Now...my back up slot is working.....and I have a great alarm system.....starting my car from my android or 1 mile transmitter....which is nice, because our remote start range is for the birds.

I appreciate everyone's responses to help figure this out....

- Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.